Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do Ashkenazis name girls Simcha?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:44 pm
I know an Ashkenazi girl Simcha, but it's definitely more common for boys. Maybe you can call her Simi, even though that's a nickname more commonly given for Sima.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:42 pm
We're heimish. We named a girl simcha after the chassam sofer daughter. We call her simi. Relatives who gave the same name call simi as well. All's good.

mom39

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:48 pm
I have a niece who named her daughter after her grandmother, Simcha. They call her Simi bec it's very uncommon for it to be a girl's name in the Chassidish world. I also know a Simchi.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 10:05 pm
"Simcha" sounds feminine with the -a ending. I was surprised to find out that it's usually a boy's name (I'm from an assimilated English-speaking background). I wouldn't be surprised if it became a unisex name.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 11:28 pm
I have an ashkenazi cousin named Simcha and I know of one other Simcha - not sure of her family background, but her last name is a very ashkenazi (Yiddish) one. Both Chasidish.

agreer

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:27 am
Simchi is such a boy's nickname. Don't call your daughter that if you do use Simcha...but you shouldn't.

mom2u

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:36 am
I know a chasidish girl named simcha she's called simchi. But it's definitely more common by boys

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
Are you trying to substitute it for fraidy or you can name the child Aliza? I have an aunt that went to very a Zionist school which is okay I'm also a Zionist but this goes back 50 years ago and that's what my great-grandparents named her simcha I don't think it's very acceptable in our community.

In Israel nowadays, Aliza is an old lady name. Go for Simcha, which is a feminine noun. The question should really be why Ashkenazim started using it as a boy's name.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:34 am
amother wrote:
We're heimish. We named a girl simcha after the chassam sofer daughter. We call her simi. Relatives who gave the same name call simi as well. All's good.

And I know two guys named Simcha who are nicknamed Simi and I always found that weird.

potatoes

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:13 am
Nothing wrong at all

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 7:13 am
Simcha can go for both boys and girls. There are several Jewish names like that.
I know several simchas. All Ashkenazi, though it's possible some have some Sephardi blood...I've also heard of Simi for Simcha.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names