Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Family activities in the Poconos. suggestions please!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 12:40 pm
We have never been there before, but we will be there for a day or two in a few weeks. Please share nice things to do there. Specifics appreciated. We need plans for all kinds of weather just in case. We are on a budget and have kids of many ages. Thank you!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 12:56 pm
Dingman Falls - Free - an alternative to Bushkill falls. Only one waterfall but less crowds and more nature. Its an easy walk to the falls on a boardwalk and then there is an option to climb a lot of steps to the top of the falls.
Hickory Run Boulder Field - Free - Very cool field of boulders that kids can explore based on age. Easy to see pretty far out so older kids can go further while you watch. I believe there is a waterfall hike in the area but we never did it.
Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm - Old 'village' where they give tours showing how things were done years ago. There is a fee. Lots of demos of shabbos melacha (weaving, grinding, dyeing, etc)

There are a lot of threads with ideas of things to do near Scranton - you will find tons of ideas and details.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 1:12 pm
Wow thanks!!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 1:38 pm
Depends which part of the Poconos, but the Crayola Factory and the National Canal Museum are in a part of the Poconos. They do have admission though...sometimes there are online specials.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:31 am
It's a bit further in from the start of the Poconos, but Ricketts Glen State Park is the most amazing family-friendly hike! It's about 4 miles, but features about 20 waterfalls spread evenly throughout.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:43 am
We did Ricketts Glen State Park hike last year with 5 children - ages 1 - 11. We used a baby carrier for the 1 year old. It was a bit scary for me regarding my 4 year old who walked the whole thing (there are some steep areas.). It is an AMAZING hike. My kids loved it and didn't mind the length. We did it in about 3 hours in cool weather. Bring lots of water.
The park also has canoe rentals that aren't cheap but was a nice treat after the hike. The water is tough to manuever (or maybe it was a windy day) so I would only send out 'older' kids on their own. We went later in the summer, earlish in the morning on a weekday and had no crowds (which we heard can sometimes happen in the middle of the summer).

We did a 2 night, 3 day trip in the area.
Day 1 - Traveling, Boulder field and settingl in in accommodations (bonfire and BBQ)
Day 2 - Rickets Glen Waterfall hike, Picnic in Park, Boating and Beach for younger children
Day 3 - Knoebels Park

The year before we also went to the Canal\Lock Museum which is pretty low key but my kids really enjoyed it. We were planning on picnicking there but there were tons of tiny bugs so we ended up leaving early.

gande

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:47 am
There's a small zoo called Snake and animal farm. Its on a main road so you might pass it.
My kids loved it you can feed the monkeys.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:56 am
There's a huge very interesting playground called Mountain View park. The kids loved it, we spent the day there.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:17 pm
doctorima wrote:
It's a bit further in from the start of the Poconos, but Ricketts Glen State Park is the most amazing family-friendly hike! It's about 4 miles, but features about 20 waterfalls spread evenly throughout.

Are any of these trails strolet accessible?

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:02 pm
Unfortunately Ricketts Glen's main falls trail is not stroller accessible. Could you borrow a child carrier from somebody?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:24 pm
Ricketts Glen is not at all doable with a stroller. But we used a baby carrier (kid was heavy!)

Dingmans falls is much smaller (not really comparable) but you can take a stroller down to the falls and then other children can climb the steps.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:26 pm
We did the following activities with a 3 year old:

Dingman's Falls
George W. Child's Park (hike with waterfalls)
Blueberry picking at Paupack Blueberry Farm
Bike riding on the Lehigh Gorge Rail Trail (there are a few bike rentals nearby)
Claws N Paws-zoo

Reality

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 8:26 pm
Dingmans falls are closed for the season due to fallen trees from winter storms. Many other trails are also closed for this season.

I do know that raymonskill fall and toms creek are open. Both are very nice. The fall is very nice now because the water pressure is really high. Its a very short hike of .5 mile to 1 me depending on the trail you take.

The creek is really nice for kids. You can wade in and jump from rock to rock very safely. There is also a picnic area right there.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:53 pm
Following this thread as I'm looking into the possibility of going to the Poconos next week.
Are all the places listed within 'range' of each other (like 1/2 hour)?
I'm going with a baby - are there any nice boat trips we can do with a little one/carriage friendly? Like a plantoon/ferry type?
TIA!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:09 pm
Lake Wallenpaupack has a boat ride. There are many state parks where you can rent a rowboat, canoe or paddle boat.

I'm not sure exactly what people mean by "the Poconos " because it covers a huge area! I assume people want to stay closer to Delaware Water Gap area since it's on the NJ border. But some suggestions are a good 1-1.5 hours past the NJ border. You really need to check the map to make sure it's in the range of how far you want to go.

bk

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:33 pm
Thank you! That's exactly my question - it seems to be a large area so trying to figure out a place to stay and an itinerary all within 1/2 distance more or less..
Keep the ideas and tips coming!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:45 pm
When I've done trip planning like this I"ve found it helpful to use google maps and save the locations we are thinking of visiting and then find a middle point and what makes sense to actually do.

Gnmn

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:15 am
Hey I’m wondering if anyone has anymore suggestions of family things to do in the poconos (stroller friendly). Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics