Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos Nachamu embarrassment!!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:27 am
I'm staying home and actually hosting guest as well. (They invited themselves.) I chose not to go this shabbos because everyone else is going I'll rather go when I have a easier time finding a place. BTW we b'h can afford a weekend in a lavish hotel with food but I feel it's a waste of money. We do great family trips like niagra, Washington DC, Virginia, Poconos, Hunter mountains and more without spending so much money. We take our own food and usually stay in none Jewish hotels. I guess everyone has a different idea of a family vacation but for us this works and we love it. And it's a lot cheaper too.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:29 am
amother wrote:
Hey, hey, we all know who you are. this is not a novel concept on ima at all. can you ladies stop the bickering here & head over to MY bungalow to wash the dishes please?
because this too shall pass.

We'd come to your bungalow, but not for a Shabbos meal. shock

Whoops, wrong thread.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
No. Not at all.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I really don't want to derail the thread, but just wondering how Denim Wine would fit in for a shabbos Nachamu kiddush? is that NOVEL or not?

Now I'm not making one this year, but have made 2 kiddushim on shabbos nachamu in the past 6 years. (coincidentally, my girls share a birthday!)

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:32 am
amother wrote:
We'd come to your bungalow, but not for a Shabbos meal. shock

Whoops, wrong thread.

Totally invited!
pm me!

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:42 am
soap suds wrote:
Hey, me too! And I'll up you one too - All that plus I've never gone on vacation either.

Can anyone beat that? We should have a contest.

I am with you both. I haven't been to a bungalow. No vacations.

A frum getaway? I wouldn't even dream about it. It sounds noisy and crowded. And it sounds like it would be a style competition. Ewwww.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:15 am
It makes more sense to go away when you can a. go swimming b. eat meat c. do laundry d. listen to music. Plus yeshivos often have off from tisha b'av until rosh chodesh elul.

In the UK the entire frum world goes away the 2 weeks after tisha b'av.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 6:27 am
amother wrote:
I am born and bred in NY and never heard of going away for shabbos nachamu being a thing until imamother

Neither did I. Though it's the summer, so people do go away. And it's the first weekend of Bein Hazmanim that are not in the nine days. But as an official "need to squash yourself into a hotel somewhere with a hot plate " is something I only learned from here.
In sleepaway camps Shabbos Nachamu was always a big deal.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 9:20 am
Raisin wrote:
It makes more sense to go away when you can a. go swimming b. eat meat c. do laundry d. listen to music. Plus yeshivos often have off from tisha b'av until rosh chodesh elul.

I was going to make just this point. Day camps end this week, some people actually are able to use vacation days for vacation instead of saving them for yom tov/traveling to relatives' simchas. It does make sense that this is a big travel week. To need to go to a major program or do something big l'shem doing something big instead of hey, it's our family vacation, is what I guess this thread is about.

ETA: Just read the immediate pp. I think she stole my thunder(storm).

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:02 am
We will be staying home in Brooklyn too. My kids will enjoy the park to themselves. Watch me go in a tichel and long skirt cuz no one will be there only to find a lot of people there!!!!!!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 10:51 am
The first time I knew that Shabbos Nachamu is a special Shabbos in any way was in camp where they decorate the dining room and do all that fancy stuff. I thought it's a camp thing...
I grew up in Monsey and have never gone away for Shabbos Nachamu nor knew anyone who did. (And I've never gone to a bungalow colony either Smile )

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:35 am
amother wrote:

*PSSSTTTT.... Are you sure you want to admit that under your screen name? You can go back and edit and save face...*

Alas, my post has already been quoted. LOL

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:50 am
So growing Heshy shabbos nachmu was nothing special. We used to joke it was just made the the chosson and kallah to exchange gifts.

Recently I started going to a bungalow colony. I don’t know if they are all like this - but it became a major event. Friday afternoon they have moon walks, water slides...huge kiddish shabbos morning. They even had twice where the whole colony ate the meals together in a tent. Special nosh bags for the kids. And of course entertainment during Melava Malky on motzei shabbos. Of course, everyone in the colony had to cho in. There were a few rich guys who gave a lot more.

And yes - open any magazine that caters to NY/NJ area and it’s full of hotel getaways and big programs.

If I don’t go to a bungalow colony next year we will prob stay home for shabbos. I prefer to spend the money on a longer family trip.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 11:52 am
Wow amother Ivory, this is a first for me!! Who arranges everything??
I still don't get what the "simcha" of shabbos nachmi is.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:25 pm
OH dear! what planet are you living in . . . . ?

Well I'm taking you advise, keeping quiet about it like you, but doing the same, and mind you, I did it last year to and survived another year Smile

Gut Shabes to all stay homers .

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:35 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
I’ll raise you one further. Not only am I not going away for Shabbos Nachamu, I never have AND I’ve never been to a bungalow colony.

Shrug. Me either. And don't want to.

But it actually makes sense to me. Its summer. The kids are out of school, the weather is nice, people like to go away for a few days. They can't (or won't) during the 3 weeks. So, what better time that Nachamu. Its "early" this year, but a lot of years, its one of the last weekends before its time to get ready for back to school.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
There were a few rich guys who gave a lot more.

In my mind, you have to be rich in order to go to a bungalow colony.

I mean, seriously. People shell out $10k to rent a home in the country PLUS pay their rent/mortgage in the city.

HOW???

I only know of one bungalow colony where the bungalow is a REAL bungalow. As in four barely-standing walls. And hopefully some running water. They pay less than a thousand for the whole summer.

The rest of y'all... HOW???

More importantly: WHY???

You need space? Save that $10k+ and move upstate year round. Enjoy life.

perquacky

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:47 pm
When I was single, I went on a few Shabbos Nachamu singles weekends. (Didn't meet DH that way, although I did meet him at a singles event.) But as a married person, I'd never think of going away. Too many people. Blech.

das

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
In my mind, you have to be rich in order to go to a bungalow colony.

I mean, seriously. People shell out $10k to rent a home in the country PLUS pay their rent/mortgage in the city.

HOW???

I only know of one bungalow colony where the bungalow is a REAL bungalow. As in four barely-standing walls. And hopefully some running water. They pay less than a thousand for the whole summer.

The rest of y'all... HOW???

More importantly: WHY???

You need space? Save that $10k+ and move upstate year round. Enjoy life.

I don't get these type of questions.

What do you mean, how? because they have more money than you.
Why? Because they like it and think it's worthy of their money.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 2:36 pm
So op, your post went viral on whatsapp. I got it from sooooo many people already. I guess the city will be quiet full after all.....

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jul 26 2018, 3:39 pm
flowerpower wrote:
So op, your post went viral on whatsapp. I got it from sooooo many people already. I guess the city will be quiet full after all.....

Me too! I also got in first on WhatsApp, and later saw it here.

I never understood the whole getting away either. I would rather spend the money on more worthy vacations.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics