Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Saving baby/ kids clothes

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:04 pm
My house is desperately cluttered and a lot of it is clothes. I just found out I'm expecting a girl bsha tova after boys. My youngest is currently 6. I hope to perhaps have another child after this next one. The thing is if I do and it's a boy it'll probably be close to 10 yrs at least btw the boys. Is it crazy to get rid of most of his clothes as he outgrows them? Most of the clothes went through another 4 boys before him.
The things I bought only for my youngest perhaps I'll keep, and not sure if I'll dig up what's in the garage but at least what's in the house I'm thinking to give away.
Good idea? Wasteful?

happy12

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:20 pm
I would give it all away except for newborn size.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:23 pm
The only things I save are: newborn/baby clothes/sweater sets & good quality outerwear/jackets. The rest I give away, styles change.

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:23 pm
4 boys? Wow.

I save some of the nicer more expensive stuff and get rid of the rest. I also save baby items but starting 18m and up mostly gets trashed or handed down immediately after the season. I dont pay enough to make saving them worth it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:27 pm
I've learned that it's just not worthwhile unless there's someone in the family who can wear it within 2 years. All we end up using was a piece here and there and it's a shame that someone else couldn't have used the clothes while they looked fresh and in style.
Save those very few pieces that are great and pass along the rest to someone who can use them.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:39 pm
Stars wrote:
4 boys? Wow.

I save some of the nicer more expensive stuff and get rid of the rest. I also save baby items but starting 18m and up mostly gets trashed or handed down immediately after the season. I dont pay enough to make saving them worth it.

5 boys actually Wink

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:41 pm
Ok great! We're gonna get rid of it then!
I waited to hear from a 2nd ultrasound / dif doctor that its a girl but it seems pretty sure now...

Thanks for the replies

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:42 pm
Give most of it away. After going thru 4 boys it’s mostly shmattes anyway, and even stuff that looks pristine develops closet stains in storage. And believe it or not styles do change, even in baby clothes, even if you’re not style conscious. Also, elastic eventually crumbles and makes the garment useless.

Do yourself a favor and give away anything still in decent shape and convert the rest to rags or compost. Worry about another boy when and if you have one. In the meantime, you need the space for your little girl and her 5 older brothers who are not taking up less space as they grow.

However, I would just pack it all up now and wait to actually give it away till after your dd is born and proves to be a dd. Unless they found ovaries and a uterus, which I don’t think they can really see on an USG, they could be wrong. They usually say it’s a girl when they don’t see an eiver, but often enough the eiver is just hiding. Plenty of stories out there about folks who painted their nursery with pink princesses only to discover that Samantha was really Sam.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:43 pm
I have girls over 4 years apart with the older one being much "bigger" for her age as well- I stopped saving one to the the next. I find that it takes up more room as they get bigger and my younger dd ended up getting really nice hand me downs from other people so it worked out.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Give most of it away. After going thru 4 boys it’s mostly shmattes anyway, and even stuff that looks pristine develops closet stains in storage. And believe it or not styles do change, even in baby clothes, even if you’re not style conscious. Also, elastic eventually crumbles and makes the garment useless.

Do yourself a favor and give away anything still in decent shape and convert the rest to rags or compost. Worry about another boy when and if you have one. In the meantime, you need the space for your little girl and her 5 older brothers who are not taking up less space as they grow.

However, I would just pack it all up now and wait to actually give it away till after your dd is born and proves to be a dd. Unless they found ovaries and a uterus, which I don’t think they can really see on an USG, they could be wrong. They usually say it’s a girl when they don’t see an eiver, but often enough the eiver is just hiding. Plenty of stories out there about folks who painted their nursery with pink princesses only to discover that Samantha was really Sam.

Thanks
Now I'm wondering if the gender prediction was reliable.
2 dif doctors told me ( not technicians) , one even did 3d ultrasound, and is head of OB at a local hospital. Also they both knew I have 5 boys therefore I think they checked well and saw it was a girl , not that it "wasn't a boy". But they are human..
Anyway even if it is a boy, there will be 7 yrs between this baby and the one above him...

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 2:45 pm
giving away sizes 3 and up is probably safe regardless of the gender so you can always start there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics