Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help! What did I do wrong?

Leriem

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 11:49 pm
I hope someone has an answer for me. I usually make my cholent in a pot in the stove and then when it’s fully cooked before Shabbos I transfer it to the crock pot. This time I decided to do it entirely in the crock pot and not bother pre-cooking it. I had it on high for many hours Fri afternoon, and then switched it to low-medium before Shabbos. Well, after all those hours, when I served it on Shabbos day, the bean were still hard!!! How’s that possible???

OutATowner

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 11:51 pm
Not enough water? I usually keep it on low, no need for it to be on high when it will cook for so long.

imamothertoo

Post Sat, Jul 28 2018, 11:56 pm
I no longer put beans in my Cholent. But when I used to, I would leave them soaking overnight The rinse very well before making my Cholent.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:00 am
You have to cut beans on conventional burner for a least an hour first. There are no shortcuts

rowo

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:09 am
Did you soak them first?
After soaking them I don't think I've ever had a problem. The over night cooking should be enough.

Leriem

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:09 am
imamothertoo wrote:
I no longer put beans in my Cholent. But when I used to, I would leave them soaking overnight The rinse very well before making my Cholent.

I did rinse the beans overnight on Thursday night! How is it that so many people say they just dump everything in the crock pot and it comes out fine? Why didn’t the beans get soft after 24 hours???

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:10 am
I use a crock pot every week
Make cholent on Friday morning and set on low
No need to presoak beans just make sure there's water to cover ingredients and then a few inches more
Cholent comes out fully cooked and yum

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:11 am
What sort of crockpot?

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:13 am
Leriem wrote:
I did rinse the beans overnight on Thursday night! How is it that so many people say they just dump everything in the crock pot and it comes out fine?

Because some people use baked beans from a can?

987gold

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:13 am
Some crockpot low setting are quite low....you may need to keep it higher next time

Pooh

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 1:26 am
You did everything right. It’s what I do every week. Could be the type of beans or brand u used. I stick w Gefen for barley and cholent mix after getting bad results from other brands.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 2:17 am
We don’t use beans.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:36 am
I pour boiling water (well, actually, from the urn so it's not quite boiling) over the beans and let them sit an hour or so, then rinse. It's supposed to remove much of the gas-producing quality (I wanted to say gassiness but evidently my spell-checker thinks that's not a word!) and also the beans are cooked sooner.

I did find when I make a very small cholent the beans might float & not get fully done so I try to put them on the bottom, well anchored by other items.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:56 am
Two things can keep beans from softening: adding salt at the start of cooking (salt toughens the skins) or using beans that are too old. I’m guessing it’s the latter. Not your fault. When you buy beans you have no idea how long the’ve been sitting around in a warehouse.

Leriem

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:36 pm
familyfirst wrote:
I use a crock pot every week
Make cholent on Friday morning and set on low
No need to presoak beans just make sure there's water to cover ingredients and then a few inches more
Cholent comes out fully cooked and yum

The water totally covered everything and I can’t figure out what went wrong! A while before Shabbos when I saw the beans still looked hard, I even put them on the stove and boiled them for a while,but it didn’t help!

Leriem

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:37 pm
zaq wrote:
Two things can keep beans from softening: adding salt at the start of cooking (salt toughens the skins) or using beans that are too old. I’m guessing it’s the latter. Not your fault. When you buy beans you have no idea how long the’ve been sitting around in a warehouse.

That could be it then. Thanks.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 4:52 pm
I brown the meat and onions first and then cook everything in crockpot, (high till shabbos and then medium before shabbos begins) but I don't use beans, only barley.

jewwoman

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 4:56 pm
Our crockpot stays on high the whole shabbos. Medium n low just isnt good enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus