Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bleeding hasn't stopped 4 hours after fingerprick/blood test

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:33 am
Never had this before! this kid has had blood tests more times then I care to count & it never took so long to stop.
while still in doctors office I kept on applying pressure, the minute I took my finger off it started again. after about 15 minutes I put a bandaid on & was sure that was the end of it. woke up now, as I changed her diaper I decided to remove bandaid, lo & behold it is still bleeding...

what should I do? it is about 3:30 am in our time zone... so I ain't calling doctor...

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:47 am
Does your doctor have an emergency call line? Or possibly insurance have a 24-hr nurse call line?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
Does your doctor have an emergency call line? Or possibly insurance have a 24-hr nurse call line?

they do. but I wouldn't call now. part of reason is that were out of state now so I went to a different office.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 4:24 am
I would definitely call your Ped, even in the middle of the night.

Is there any concern that you have about the child's blood being thin? Any Motrin use recently, or other meds that can cause the blood to lack clotting ability?

As a side note: I once had a problem with a spot on my daughter's neck that wouldn't stop bleeding. I was scared and called Hatzolah. They said to keep pressure on it for 15 min -- don't take off pressure! And it stopped.

It took a long, long time, but it worked.

At least try that.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 12:44 pm
Thanks Coffee.

She was on Motrin the last few days. could this have caused it? I did get in touch with a doc who said that as long as its not bleeding when pressure is applied I shouldn't be worried, and just mention it to her regular doc.
I doubt meds she had few weeks ago would cause it. I'll check this with her doc as well.
B'H when I took off bandaid in the morn the bleeding had a already stopped.
'I had applied pressure to it last night for over 20 minutes, it was such a tiny prick & so much blood...

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 2:08 pm
This can be dangerous. Please call.

MyUsername

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 5:39 pm
Is it soaking through a bandaid or just a little spot of blood? If it is soaking through bandaids, it needs to be checked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics