Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
DS ruining our summer
Previous  1  2

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
A regular camp. My DS is BH pretty much ok in school. He doesn't get sent out of class and we dont get calls from the rebbe or principal. (Well, only once a year)

We have sent ds to camp last year for half a summer. He loved it and wanted to go back for a full summer.

I have so spoken to a psychologist now before camp. He said that DSs hormones is what is making his behavior difficult (he was allways a difficult child, but now it's worse. He got kicked out of playgroup and received play therapy) We are considering sending him for counseling, but not sure how to get DS to agree.

My DH and DS don't get along at all. DH blames DS for everything. It's not good. No wonder DS calls me at work and doesn't speak to DH at all. DH wants DS to go to a yeshiva with a dorm for HS. I don't think it's a good idea.

Your son B"H is in a totally different category than the other kids mentioned in this thread, if you are able to send him to a regular camp. I think the other posters are talking about much more difficult situations.

OP, I have a nephew with a 14 year old son who sounds similar to yours. He has been shuffled from school to school, they couldn't handle him. He currently has no school lined up for the coming year. At home, he yells at his parents and gets violent with them. He is rough with his younger sibling. He has mood swings and has been thru a number of psychiatrists, med switches, etc....to the tune of tons of money his parents don't have....he is currently with a new psychiatrist whom they are hoping will help him.

right now he was given some sort of job in a daycamp, and we are all holding our breath wondering how long it will last.

Underneath, he can be very sweet and helpful, but his issues are just so many, and right now unable to control them.

My heart goes out to all these parents.....following to see if there are any ideas mentioned that can help my sister and her husband....

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but it makes me so sad and frustrated that even with people (and providers) who are pandas-aware, this sudden-onset belief is so widespread and common, yet in reality it's a total and complete misconception. It's simply not true. I said it before and I'll say it again. Many children have a gradual onset, and many have an onset so early in their life that it's missed.

Are you telling me that you have personal experience with someone who had gradual onset, and their neuropsychiatric issues were fully cured with a PANDAS regimen?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:55 pm
I am sorry you are having a hard time and don't have much advice but you said he was 11 and kids that age who don't have issues tend to start changing. And in your case it can just exasperate all what he already has going on .I would talk to the Dr and explain what's going on maybe a change of meds or different therapy can help maybe also cheack his blood levels to see if it's puberty hormones starting to kick in but even if not I find as they get to the preteen years it does they start changing.so you just have to find a way to help both at the same time good luck and hope you find something that works .I had a sibling with behavior issues and severe ADHD and you can definitely see a difference when things in his life changed so did his behaviors.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)