Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Desperately need advice and support
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:12 pm
I highly recommend Asperkids, and the accompanying volumes, by Jennifer Cooke O'Toole.

Even if your DD doesn't end up with the formal diagnosis, you'll probably see some useful tips.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 2:42 am
I was that kid.
Make sure she feels validated and normal. Give her attention, energy, love, and don't see her through those labels.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 3:09 am
amother wrote:
I'm not worried about her learning everything at once. But some basics that we taught over time. What I mean is that it doesnt last.

I really do hear that, it can be so frustrating! Some kids just aren't ready for the skills yet, even if you teach them, even if you teach them over time, even if on some level they get it. Their brain or development may need more time to catch up before they can internalize the tools enough or have the skills or resources to implement them. It's like try to teach a very young baby to walk or talk - you can't make them do it before they are capable of it just because you taught them how, you can only set the foundation and they will start doing it when their mind and body are ready. I do encourage you to keep working at it, I know it's hard to keep it up when it feels like you're banging your head against the wall and nothing is working, but one day it will fall into place if you keep working on giving her the right tools. If she is a smart kid, that will also likely help her develop ways to compensate for some of her shortcomings in other areas, and your guidance will go a long way.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:54 pm
Recommend reading: http://sengifted.org/misdiagno.....dren/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)