Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do you do in the Elevator??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Boca00

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 1:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
How old was whoever was designing the curriculum? Is it possible that in his or her day, it was still SOP to have an elevator operator? Maybe rabbanim felt that obviated any yichud issues, which is why there are so few teshuvos on the matter, and which impacted our formal chinuch.

An elevator operator would cause more yichud problems, not less. Having an elevator operator ensures that you will have a yichud problem no matter what, unless they had 2 elevator operators whose relationship would mitigate the concern for yichud. Highly doubt that, though, sorry.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 4:39 pm
Boca00 wrote:
An elevator operator would cause more yichud problems, not less. Having an elevator operator ensures that you will have a yichud problem no matter what, unless they had 2 elevator operators whose relationship would mitigate the concern for yichud. Highly doubt that, though, sorry.

That's what I thought. But I was trying to be melamed zechus.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 5:15 pm
Boca00 wrote:
They clearly hold that being in an elevator with a man is yichud so they didn't dream you would go into one. I hope that your principal isn't on here.

Last I heard principal of her school is male. I really hope he is not on here. it is summer vacation though... so who knows?

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 6:34 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
you can always do what my dad once did in a crowded downtown hospital elevator. cleared his throat and said "I'm sure you're all wondering why I gathered you here today..."

Innerme, in this day and age all you need to do is cough as you’re getting into the elevator for a selfie ride. Trust me, everyone will suddenly be enticed to exercise & jog up the stairs.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 7:26 am
I bring in a desk and ask people if they had an appointment

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:02 am
Now now that depends on which corner of the globe ur on. In the USofA I check my phone to see what time it is bite my lip forget what time it is and consult my phone again. In the holy land I try to see how many seconds I can go without inhaling and end up with a sharp inhale with my nose closed and mouth wide open. If you tore the carpet out of ur maalit don’t get insulted I was in a different neighborhood

InnerMe

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I bring in a desk and ask people if they had an appointment

LOL LOL thanks for bumping this with this response!

this is gold.

I no longer use the elevator every day (no it's not cuz I started watching my healthy... nah I'm too lazy for that) but when I chance upon an elevator, I will remember this.

I'll just have to remember to schlep along a desk

"uh, yeah sorry, I'm just pulling a desk into my office"

"where's your office"

"um, that little room with the door open and closing that moves up and down between floors"

InnerMe

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 11:47 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Innerme, in this day and age all you need to do is cough as you’re getting into the elevator for a selfie ride. Trust me, everyone will suddenly be enticed to exercise & jog up the stairs.

lol, yes! what a pity I no longer work there! LOL

mamma llama

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 11:52 am
InnerMe wrote:
So since my sushi and my kokosh kake has been taken care of.. I'm on to bigger and better things.

Ya know Moslow's Hierarchy of needs? Ok, so now we are moving on to the next level.

I use an elevator daily. (Yeh, I should be using the steps. Blah)

And my problem is this: What in heavens' name do you do there?

I'm just like standing there, and the other person is also just like standing there, and we are both trying to pretend that we are not standing together in a tiny area trying to not look at each other. Sometimes people are on the phone. But I think that's just stupid. Like you are proclaiming that you are so self conscious standing in the elevator with another human being that you need to be busy with your phone.

So the phone solution is out.

Conversation? I'm not that social. I am not interested in putting in effort in creating elevator friends.

So what does that leave me with?

Please help me stop this elevator awkwardness.

I think you should reconsider making elevator friends. They're the best. You can literally say anything and know that you'll likely never see them again so it's very chilled.

Unless you're me. Then you exchange phone numbers and keep up with each other. I'm one of those people who can become a true elevator friend in the minute it takes the elevator to rise from floor 1 to floor 4. Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 12:37 pm
Seriously, I saw the thread title and thought it was in the coronavirus forum.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 12:47 pm
mamma llama wrote:
I think you should reconsider making elevator friends. They're the best. You can literally say anything and know that you'll likely never see them again so it's very chilled.

Unless you're me. Then you exchange phone numbers and keep up with each other. I'm one of those people who can become a true elevator friend in the minute it takes the elevator to rise from floor 1 to floor 4. Very Happy

I guess I havent met u in the elevator yet because I'm exactly the same .
Was walking with my mom today and every person we passed by greeted me . Mom was like how come everyone knows u (been living here for 7 years now )

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 1:35 pm
InnerMe wrote:
So since my sushi and my kokosh kake has been taken care of.. I'm on to bigger and better things.

Ya know Moslow's Hierarchy of needs? Ok, so now we are moving on to the next level.

I use an elevator daily. (Yeh, I should be using the steps. Blah)

And my problem is this: What in heavens' name do you do there?

I'm just like standing there, and the other person is also just like standing there, and we are both trying to pretend that we are not standing together in a tiny area trying to not look at each other. Sometimes people are on the phone. But I think that's just stupid. Like you are proclaiming that you are so self conscious standing in the elevator with another human being that you need to be busy with your phone.

So the phone solution is out.

Conversation? I'm not that social. I am not interested in putting in effort in creating elevator friends.

So what does that leave me with?

Please help me stop this elevator awkwardness.

Wait for an empty one

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Flatulence.

Totally.

Love to see the reactions. Twisted Evil

Try it. I dare you.

I am totally, totally joking!!!!!!!!!!! About ME doing it. But you try. Go ahead.

Listen, everyone has masks in the elevator now. Soooo the silent but violent ones might not have the same affect they used to.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette