Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Preschooler and 1 year old during witching hour

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:09 pm
How on earth does anyone manage?

My husband began working, gets home at 6 pm. I work until 3. From 3-6 I've got to take care of my preschooler and one year old, warm up dinner and feed it to them (I prepare it the night before), entertain them at their fussiest time of day, then get them ready for bed. I'm exhausted from this!!!! How on earth do women manage this?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 12:08 pm
Bump

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
How on earth does anyone manage?

My husband began working, gets home at 6 pm. I work until 3. From 3-6 I've got to take care of my preschooler and one year old, warm up dinner and feed it to them (I prepare it the night before), entertain them at their fussiest time of day, then get them ready for bed. I'm exhausted from this!!!! How on earth do women manage this?

I went through this! I had 2 babies 10 months apart and got home from work at 4:15! Talk about the fussiest hr of the day!
Looking back I have no clue how I managed but while I was at it hashem just gave me extra strength!
I did have a melt down every other day! Its totally ok! Thats the way to make urself feel better lol !
This stage passes! I promise!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 12:20 pm
It’s really hard. A lot of my friends have babysitting help at those hours. I manage on my own with three little ones but it is hard.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 12:41 pm
I come home from work around 430/445. I have to pop supper in the oven VERY FAST for the kids. I am exhausted and so are they. IT IS VERY HARD. My husband usually leaves the house a short time after that and then I am left to taking care of the kids till bed time around 745. some days I loose it and some days are better than the other days. We take each day on its own.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:56 pm
Besides dinner, what do you do with the kids between the time you get home, and their bedtime? Are they bored, or craving your attention?

Supervise them with playdoh, read them a book, let them play in the bathtub, or some other fairly low key activity that will help them wind down. If you can't give them undivided attention, make sure that they have a play area that is near you, so they can talk to you and see you.

If you are making dinner for DH, put the little one in a high chair in the kitchen near you, and let the preschooler "help" make dinner.

If all else fails, just keep telling yourself that they won't be this age forever!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Besides dinner, what do you do with the kids between the time you get home, and their bedtime? Are they bored, or craving your attention?

Supervise them with playdoh, read them a book, let them play in the bathtub, or some other fairly low key activity that will help them wind down. If you can't give them undivided attention, make sure that they have a play area that is near you, so they can talk to you and see you.

If you are making dinner for DH, put the little one in a high chair in the kitchen near you, and let the preschooler "help" make dinner.

If all else fails, just keep telling yourself that they won't be this age forever!

Thanks FF! I do do these things, but three hours is a long stretch of time...

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks FF! I do do these things, but three hours is a long stretch of time...

I hear you. I was a single SAHM with DD. When she went off to kindergarten I did such a happy-dance!

She's 15 now, and can still talk the hind legs off a donkey.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics