Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bagging groceries

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:08 pm
If you are in a store like Trader Joe's, where usually they do have a bagger, but there happens to be just one person working the register - do you bag your own groceries? Or let them do it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
If you are in a store like Trader Joe's, where usually they do have a bagger, but there happens to be just one person working the register - do you bag your own groceries? Or let them do it.

I bag. But since I'm not particularly fast, the cashier usually bags as well.

geekima

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:08 pm
I'm with SixOfWands. I start the bagging myself if there's no bagger (regardless of the store), but I'm usually so much slower at it than someone who does it every day that the checker usually catches up with me and then we both finish it. They often seem surprised that I start bagging, so maybe that's not what most people do?

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:56 pm
I bag my own. It's more efficient.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:00 pm
I bag my own. But partly bc I'm so particular about what goes with what. Like I try to put cold together or boxes together. Some things like milk I don't bother bagging. Also, I hate hate hate wasting bags so if something like a loaf of bread comes down later, I toss it on top of the crackers.

I do however, try to arrange the items on the belt grouped how I like it to be bagged. But especially if there isn't a bagger there. I tell the cashier "don't bother I'll bag."

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:52 pm
Whatever gets me on my way sooner.

maze

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 8:07 pm
I'll bag and then if they finished ringing everything up they'll start helping me.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 8:45 pm
I bag. I always think it's interesting when the cashier tells me "thanks for bagging." She is helping me when she bags. Some parts of our culture are so funny.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 8:58 pm
We usually do it together.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 12:42 am
OutATowner wrote:
I bag. I always think it's interesting when the cashier tells me "thanks for bagging." She is helping me when she bags. Some parts of our culture are so funny.

Not really. It's her job.

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 1:24 am
I let them bag for me. They are much better at it than I am, that's for sure. It's built into the pricing of the items here in the U.S.

I remember the first time I went grocery shopping in Israel. I paid and waited and waited...and they told me to do it myself!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 2:44 am
Here in Israel, the customer bags. The cashiers were never trained, so they are of no help and just waste bags. I bring my own bags and decide myself what goes together and what does not need a bag. I want certain things together based on my home storage, refrigerated, frozen, squishability, weight, etc.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 2:52 am
Some supermarkets here bag. A few in the country perhaps.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 2:57 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Some supermarkets here bag. A few in the country perhaps.

A very few. And I don't like it, because there is one supermarket where it is unclear if the bagger requires a tip.

I bag quickly and efficiently and am usually done a moment or two after the cashier finishes ringing up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette