Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
With what to double wrap to microwave

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 1:48 pm
I meed to dbl wrap my food to microwave it.... Whats recommended?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:08 pm
It's hard to double wrap in the microwave because microwaves can make sealed items bust. It's best to use store bought double wrapped items make specifically for this purpose.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:14 pm
When I was in the hospital there was a sign on the bikur Cholim microwave to wrap the food in shopping bags as a double wrapping. At first I was scared to do it, but I tried it and it worked very well.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:17 pm
saran wrap

lfab

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 2:20 pm
For years when we only had 1 microwave I always used saran wrap and never had a problem. You just need to be very careful when unwrapping so you don't get burned as steam is released.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:16 pm
I second Saran Wrap though I have used shopping bags. You have to watch it because the bag will inflate like a balloon. When it does, stop the micro, let the bag deflate, restart, Repeat as needed.

ETA shopping bags are NOT food-safe plastic so do NOT wrap your food in that. use it only as a second wrapping after you've used something food-safe directly on the food.

PSA to people who use shopping bags or trash bags for their hot-air popcorn--DON'T. The plastic is not food safe and plasticizers will leach out of it into the food. It's even worse if the popcorn is still hot when it goes into the bag. Use only bags that are specifically intended to be used with food--and even then it would be wiser to wait till the popcorn cools before it goes in the bag.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Jul 31 2018, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 5:29 pm
saran wrap
or knotted plastic bags. But watch well to make sure doesn't burst.

jflower

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:23 pm
wax paper

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 10:37 pm
2 loose food storage bags is enough. I don't think it needs to be tight around food. Just place container in 2 bags

creditcards

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 11:09 pm
I use food storage bags. I tape it instead of knotting it. It's easier that way.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 5:56 am
Surprised I would never use shopping bags in a microwave or around any hot food for that matter. Too worried that chemicals might leak into the food. When a neighbor brought us fresh homemade pitot, sizzling hot and wrapped in a plastic bag, I threw them out right away (the pitot, not the neighbors, lol).
@zaq is right.
Comes to that, I don't use any plastic wraps in the microwave. I' d rather eat the food cold.
But then I'm an old chemical-o-phobe, according to dh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen