Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mommy Camp vs. Kids Staying Home

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 6:27 pm
What is the difference between "I'm running a Mommy Camp" vs "School's Out, I'm a Stay at Home Mom, I'm Looking After My Kids"

kenz

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
What is the difference between "I'm running a Mommy Camp" vs "School's Out, I'm a Stay at Home Mom, I'm Looking After My Kids"

For some people, probably nothing. For others, they invest time and energy into coming up with a schedule so that the kids are kept as engaged and busy as possible, and don't end up doing nothing for most of the day. The younger the kids are, the easier it is to keep them entertained, but even very little kids do better with structure. Someone who is running a true "Mommy Camp" is actively keeping their kids on a summer schedule that is different than just a regular day off during the year - and ideally enjoying her part in it too.
At least that's my take on it.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

One is planning a program and daily schedule. The other is basically kids helping themselves to cookies for breakfast, pjs till noon, ices for lunch( still in pjs), frozen what not for supper.....binge watching kids cartoons while you keep thinking it’s time to take away their iPads already... then patting yourself on your back for surviving the day.

Last edited by flowerpower on Wed, Aug 01 2018, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

OutATowner

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 6:45 pm
I wanted to call it something else this year but we do Camp Last Name. We have a daily and weekly schedule, set trips, theme days etc.
But really, people call it whatever makes them stay safe. If it were up to me I'd call it Camp No Kvetching., just as a reminder, but my kids nixed it. Smile

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 7:10 pm
for me mommy camp includes trips while kids staying home doesn't. I told my kids that once regular camp lets out- around a month! before school starts mommy camp is over, they were like no!!! They are enjoying the trips Smile I told them I'll still supervise them Wink but I'm hoping to do more playdates (there aren't many people who have kids my older daughter's age home from camp) and less trips...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 7:25 pm
flowerpower- do you really know people that are as extreme as the second group you described? I think sometimes the kids are playing house, doing crafts at home, playing in sprinkler... which I think is great but it would make me sad if many kids are really having a summer like you describe.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 7:27 pm
When my kids are home from school in general, I don't necessarily make an effort to "do" anything special with them. When we do Camp Mommy, I make a point of taking them on an outing every day. Most of the outings are free or very low cost, but they're different and keep them satisfied enough that the rest of the day at home goes smoothly.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 7:59 pm
outing every day- wow. I tell my kids I will try at least once a week to do a really fun trip. We've been doing more then that but fridays are always home and yesterday the outing was to the grocery and shoe shopping. My older kid got to go someplace special at night but the younger one went to bed.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 8:05 pm
When we do Mommy camp it’s a planned schedule of trips and fun days. Days off like during the year are just lazy days where everyone chills and plays. We don’t do much of that by Mommy camp.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
outing every day- wow. I tell my kids I will try at least once a week to do a really fun trip. We've been doing more then that but fridays are always home and yesterday the outing was to the grocery and shoe shopping. My older kid got to go someplace special at night but the younger one went to bed.

Maybe the word outing is deceiving? It means that we actually leave the house every day and do something the kids consider entertaining (so, not just to the grocery to buy chicken). It can be target, swimming, a park, library, splash pad, ice cream.

Their friends are almost all in camp or traveling, and I want them to feel that the summer is fun for them too.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 9:10 pm
I do camp mommy. We have a serious routine. 1)Wakeup dress daven learn cleanup etc. 2)Craft./baking. 3)Outdoor- park, biking /roller blading...
Once a wk is major trip(amusement parks etc) once a wk minor trip(bowling)
THAT I call camp...!
Amazing experience. NOT FOR EVERYONE!

OutATowner

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
flowerpower- do you really know people that are as extreme as the second group you described? I think sometimes the kids are playing house, doing crafts at home, playing in sprinkler... which I think is great but it would make me sad if many kids are really having a summer like you describe.

I know of one family like that, but the kids are middle school/hs age and that's what the kids prefer.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 9:39 pm
I’m doing mommy camp with my kids this month and so far every day we went out . Museums , fun parks etc.

pizza4

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 10:43 pm
I guess mommy camp is when you make more of an effort to give the kids a fun time, but it doesn't matter what you call it. I've been going on a simple outing every day meanwhile, mostly around any errands and I try to make it interesting and going to different parks though not every day more like 2x a week. As long as the weather is warm enough we have a swimming pool or other water play outside. It's not easy but its kind of nice. Calmer times than the jam packed day camp schedule.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Aug 01 2018, 11:04 pm
My kids are often home summers because they don't like camp and I don't force them to go. They are good at self entertaining. I'm certainly not running mommy camp, but it's definitely not the scenario that some poster described above.

They play school endlessly, ride bikes outside, go to the library and read tons of books, bake, play games, dance, listen to music, hang out, go on errands with me sometimes, do the rounds of visiting elderly relatives that we do several times a week, play with cousins. And yes, there's no strict summer bedtime or need to get dressed first thing in the AM as long as it's all working. We definitely do some outings, but that can be a 5pm trip to the splash pad with a picnic supper, for example.

Aylat

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 6:38 am
amother wrote:
My kids are often home summers because they don't like camp and I don't force them to go. They are good at self entertaining. I'm certainly not running mommy camp, but it's definitely not the scenario that some poster described above.

They play school endlessly, ride bikes outside, go to the library and read tons of books, bake, play games, dance, listen to music, hang out, go on errands with me sometimes, do the rounds of visiting elderly relatives that we do several times a week, play with cousins. And yes, there's no strict summer bedtime or need to get dressed first thing in the AM as long as it's all working. We definitely do some outings, but that can be a 5pm trip to the splash pad with a picnic supper, for example.

My kids have 3 week half-day day camp out of a 9 week summer, and this pretty much describes us. Right now DD 12 is drawing. DSs 11 and 9 are playing an intricate imaginary game involving superpowers, spirit animals and martial arts. DSs 7 and 4 are building a sofa cushion tower. The kids play A LOT with each other, as well as go out to friends. We had a bonfire two nights ago, went for an evening hike and picnic yesterday, and will go to the zoo next week. They do have computer time, but it is time scheduled (20 mins each, afternoon only). The only thing I insist on is getting dressed at some point and davening. And Friday chores as per year round plus some extra because they're free all day. Personally I don't have energy or temperament to 'run a camp', but I admire those who do, sounds great!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 6:43 am
I'm not a camp. A camp is paid, possibly professional, has means, various people and energy. I am a person with kids at home. I don't owe anything.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 6:54 am
My sister runs "Camp Mommy" and it is so much fun that I sent my son there last summer for 2 weeks!

It's a lot of fun to do activities with your kids. Show them another side of the world. Take them to the places that are inaccessible during the year because of school and other responsibilities.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:44 am
amother wrote:

Packaging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics