Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Doona vs. Yoyo w/ car seat

rd5081

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:02 am
HI all! Im having a baby soon and ive moved recently to a place I do lots of traveling from... I dont drive. Im basically using a large sprinter shuttle as my means of transportation. My question is like this... do I go with a doona or a yoyo stroller with a car seat (I have the maxi cose car seat to go with that) I definitely wanna leave that baby sleeping and in a car seat when traveling. People have told me the Doona is very heavy, and that the yoyo is easy to fold and has the underneath storage option which the doona doesnt. Im trying to hear from more people which option is better. People have told me the yoyo isnt so comfy for a newborn without a car seat, or bassinet, but id be using that in the beginning only with a car seat and use my bugaboo bee for local wheeling...
Id love to hear feedback.

THank you!

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:13 am
I've never used either but I've used a car seat that attaches to other strollers (city mini, graco) and its a great option. A few things I don't like about the Doona.

Price. So much for a stroller that your kid will outgrow in 12 months? And my babies are big...probably earlier! I had to move them out of their infant car seats way before 12 months. You will enjoy the yoyo for many more years so if it is a choice between one or the other get the yo yo. If you have tons of cash and space to store lots of strollers get both.

You are not meant to put a baby in a car seat for long stretches of time.

No basket would not work for me at all.

If you don't drive I would not get a doona. I can see its uses for someone who spends a long time in the car and wants to move the baby easily in and out. Its not clear how you are travelling. Bus? Car?

If I had a spare $300 lying around I can think of many things to spend the money on.

rd5081

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:28 am
OP here...
Im traveling by big van basically, like an 18 passenger van... called a sprinter these days. so no aisles or anything on the van...

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:06 am
Can anyone who has it chime in here? Is it as heavy as it sounds? It weighs double of regular infant car seats when empty. And if the baby is sleeping and I want to take him in to my house in the carseat, thats a few flights of steps, no elevator. Will I regret the heavier carseat?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:26 am
I have a Doona which I got second hand ( I believe that is the way to go since it is used only for infants it usually is in very decent condition, -and cuts the cost in half while getting a decent product)
It is heavy, but I rarely hold it since as soon as I take it out of the car I drop the wheels down.
It's a very convenient baby seat in the house as well- sitting height and easily pushed from one room to the next without taking up too much room.
I would love if it would have some storage- especially when doing errands- I got a big diaper bag to try to make up for it.

sunnys

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:27 am
I personally love my doona and my baby is chubby and at 12 months is still currently in it. It’s much more convenient then my old snap and go. I do find at this point it’s heavier then before. From what I remember it’s just as heavy as regular Graco car seat.One more thing to know the handle bars doesnt feel strong for an expensive carriage. Wouldn’t recommend bumping it up stairs! Other reviewers are correct eventually she will need the travel carriage anyways...I have both. Will probably sell douna when she outgrows it good luck and bshaa tova!

reality mom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:57 am
I know many people who have the Doona And love it. However, after a years use, you will have to put it away, whereas your YoYo can still be put to use for many months (or years, depending in the size of your baby) after.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 9:27 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I have a Doona which I got second hand ( I believe that is the way to go since it is used only for infants it usually is in very decent condition, -and cuts the cost in half while getting a decent product)
It is heavy, but I rarely hold it since as soon as I take it out of the car I drop the wheels down.
It's a very convenient baby seat in the house as well- sitting height and easily pushed from one room to the next without taking up too much room.
I would love if it would have some storage- especially when doing errands- I got a big diaper bag to try to make up for it.

Do you have steps up to your house? Or do you live in a walkup or elevator building? I have 3 flights of steps with no elevator, so to take it up I would need to either carry it up all those steps, or bump it up like a stroller, which it doesnt seem sturdy enough for, is it? Graco carseat says its 7lbs, maxi cosi is 6lbs (or just the opposite, I forgot) the doona says 16 lbs. Thats alot of weight to carry, plus the baby!

kerem

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 10:13 am
FYI, I saw an imitation Doona advertised in a Boro Park circular for $300.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:09 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Can anyone who has it chime in here? Is it as heavy as it sounds? It weighs double of regular infant car seats when empty. And if the baby is sleeping and I want to take him in to my house in the carseat, thats a few flights of steps, no elevator. Will I regret the heavier carseat?

I have the Doona. I love it, but I live on the first floor. It's very heavy, and my baby is big kh. I would not get it if I had to carry it up 3 flights. I also do not feel the handle is studly enough to bump it up.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:11 am
kerem wrote:
FYI, I saw an imitation Doona advertised in a Boro Park circular for $300.

You can get it on ali express for cheaper than that-which is probably where the seller got it.If you trust a car seat that hasn't been tested in the US.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:14 am
momsrus wrote:
You can get it on ali express for cheaper than that-which is probably where the seller got it.If you trust a car seat that hasn't been tested in the US.

I'd sooner buy the yoyo knockoff than the doona knockoff, for exactly that reason. Carseat safety isnt something to be played with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics