Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you don't allow any screen time whatsoever
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:24 pm
Any ideas for older kids? Ages 12-18? Thanx!

honeygold

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:04 am
I used to allow screen time but my kids got so addicted to watching they acted like drug addicts when I told them that they have to stop watching. So now there is no screen time. They are much calmer. They play with their toys, with each other, out in the yard etc.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 5:33 am
I don't allowany screen time at all. Kids are young under 6. It is not even on their radar. they play with : Play mobiel, lego, clicks, they color they cut and they play pretend mommy-totty etc. They play by themself sometimes I play with them games like uno etc.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 8:09 am
amother wrote:

Do they have any structure during their day? Jobs, chavrusas, etc.?
There's biking.
Too late to sign up but KidsBowlFree, pay for the older kids. (Or just find specials on bowling in general; there were wonderful specials when my kids were little and we went bowling often.)
Cooking.
Reading.
Chessed.

Hope this helps!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 8:25 am
Sorry OP but as you said in your op that we should not answer unless we don’t give screenyime- I don’t think anyone here can answer at all!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 10:52 am
I'm old enough to remember when screens didn't really exist. My parents only let me watch Sesame Street, Electric Company, or anything else educational on PBS. I developed an early appreciation for the opera, symphony, and ballet! We also went to the library at least once a week.

Nature is a wonderful thing. Let the kids get down in the dirt and grass, and look for bugs. Examine all the different kinds of flowers, pine cones, and other cool stuff that is around you. I used to take DD on nature walks all the time, and we would talk about the wonders of Hashem's world.

The hardest thing for us was that we lived in a mixed community, and if she went to play with friends, they would have the screens on. Then she wanted it all the time and would beg to go visit, just to sit and watch. I got together with the parents and asked that the screens be off when DD came to visit, and they agreed. Unfortunately, the other kids figured out that when DD came over that meant no screen time, so they stopped inviting her.

It is really hard when your community doesn't support you 100%!

She's 15 now, and a screen addict, but I'm glad that I fought it as long as I did. She didn't get to use the computer until she was 12, and I think it made a difference. On the upside, I'm going to be homeschooling her with a computer program, so she's comfortable with that type of learning. She teaches herself a lot of skills by watching YouTube videos, and has a network of friends from all over the world.

My advice is even if you cave in, be proud of yourself for holding out as long as you could, and don't beat yourself up. There is no such thing as a perfect parent, only a parent who is doing the best they can.

mammale

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 11:09 am
This thread is wonderful to read, I'm loving the ideas. A few people mentioned calling a story line... Can you post numbers?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:58 pm
mammale wrote:
This thread is wonderful to read, I'm loving the ideas. A few people mentioned calling a story line... Can you post numbers?

Warning: my kids always have the phone because they are constantly listening to these story lines. So it's got to be with limits too .
Wonderwords is: 212-444-1119

wifenmother

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:06 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Warning: my kids always have the phone because they are constantly listening to these story lines. So it's got to be with limits too .
Wonderwords is: 212-444-1119

No screen time here either. My kids read a lot. I go to the local library so that they always have 'new' books. They are hooked on story tapes. And they enjoy magna tiles, clics, legos, mitzva mentchies, dolls, matchbox cars... I don't do lots of crafts with them, but they color and water paint and will 'build' with pop sticks and liquid Elmers glue when I'm ok with the mess...

OP, if you just need the screen time when you need downtime then cheat with a 'special toy' or 'special treat'. Another poster mentioned ices - that's always welcome!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:39 pm
wifenmother wrote:
No screen time here either. My kids read a lot. I go to the local library so that they always have 'new' books. They are hooked on story tapes. And they enjoy magna tiles, clics, legos, mitzva mentchies, dolls, matchbox cars... I don't do lots of crafts with them, but they color and water paint and will 'build' with pop sticks and liquid Elmers glue when I'm ok with the mess...

OP, if you just need the screen time when you need downtime then cheat with a 'special toy' or 'special treat'. Another poster mentioned ices - that's always welcome!

The frozen drink box idea sounds great. It can keep them busy for a while.

Mom23gs

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:

I would teach that age how to sew and use tools. Needlepoint, crochet, knit. Buy inexpensive furniture kits at ikea or target ie.small book cases and let them learn to assemble. Move onto bigger projects...if you have internet you can download many ideas and plans for them. Home depot will cut and measure Any wood u need. Even rehabbing old furniture that you dont love by sanding and repainting is fun. These are all great life skills that are fun to learn and will be useful when they get older.

justforfun87

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 11:31 pm
Do any of you who have posted work full time out of the home?

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:29 am
I grew up with no screen time and survived to tell the tale without therapy. Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics