Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O Curly hair on a little girl

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:31 pm
I need help. My daughter is 8. Her hair is thin and dry and curly and usually looks like a frizzy unmanageable mess. Her hair is midway down her back, and it spends most of her life in a bun, because I have no idea what to do with it. I feel so bad. I have other kids with curly hair, but their hair is thick and curly and I have a whole system down for them. I’m not sure what to do with this one, but I want her to feel pretty. Should I cut it? Condition more? Less? Specific products suggestions would be helpful.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 1:55 pm
Definitely cut it a bit shorter. I have had thick frizzy nd curly hair since I was born..(before I was born lol) u need to condition the midlengths and ends. That will keep it softer and more manageable. To be honest I always kept mine up, or I plaited/braided it when it was wet or clipped or tied it in a bun the rest of the time. U can prob spray it with something beforeu do it every day

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
I need help. My daughter is 8. Her hair is thin and dry and curly and usually looks like a frizzy unmanageable mess. Her hair is midway down her back, and it spends most of her life in a bun, because I have no idea what to do with it. I feel so bad. I have other kids with curly hair, but their hair is thick and curly and I have a whole system down for them. I’m not sure what to do with this one, but I want her to feel pretty. Should I cut it? Condition more? Less? Specific products suggestions would be helpful.

Cut it shorter with layering. I'd try the curly girl method. The method is basically that there are chemicals particularly harmful for curly hair is most mainstream products.

Shea Moisture is a curly girl friendly brand, all their products are 7-11 dollars and are found in most CVS's, Targert's, and Walmarts. Try switching over to that. I've been on it for a year and my hair no longer needs any creams, mousses, etc. No frizz. Just have spritz with some water in the morning...

Curly girl method is so low maintenance. Once you realize what products you should use in your hair, your hair doesn't need so much work and effort and cream and who knows what. I mean it takes time to understand how it works and what chemicals are bad, but like I said, shea moustuire is a great company to go to, all their products are curly girl friendly. Just jump into there clueless, it's fine.

Also teach her how to pineapple her hair at night. That means piling her hair on top of her haid in a pony at night as not to ruin the curls. Satin pillowcases cause less frcition with the hair. In addition NEVER wrap her hair in a towel, use a tshirt instead, again, the material and friction causes frizz etc.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 2:51 pm
Start with a good haircut geared toward ppl with curly hair.
And try the high quality salon products; we found the shea moisture products dried the hair more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics