Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
6 year old afraid of the dark

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:04 pm
Is it normal for my 6 year old dd to refuse to get out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom? she calls me at all hours of the night to walk her out of bed because she's scared. There's a nightlight in her room and in the hallway and in the bathroom.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:09 pm
Shh... don't tell anyone, but I was scared of the dark at age 6, 16, 26, 36 and I still am....
I never found a night light helpful. Either a lamp or full light needs to be on for me to be comfortable.

amother
White

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:12 pm
Try offering her a flashlight that she can shine around to make sure her coast is clear before leaving bed.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:44 pm
At 6 it's definitely still normal. Maybe leave on a light in the front of the house so it shall shine towards her room.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 8:50 pm
Is this new for her? Out of character? Is she otherwise developmentally typical?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 9:46 pm
It's not new for her. She is developmentally fine. She also is super cautious and wary of a lot of things though... elevator doors, insects, being on another floor of house by herself in the daytime..

oneofakind

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 11:26 pm
It's only a problem if it effects her functioning and how much it's limiting her life and driving you crazy. There are some goods books out there to read- for you and for her. If you see it's getting worse, I'd get a therapist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children