Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Movie recommendations for 12 year old boy

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 10:45 pm
Any good movie recommendations for a 12 year old boy? Other than the typical family movies. He wanted to see oceans eleven, but I wasn’t sure if it was appropriate (haven’t watched it in awhile, so mostly basing off what I read on imdb). I don’t mind if pg13, as long as there isn’t anything overtly s-xual or profane.

flmommy

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 10:51 pm
Check out White House Down on Commonsense Media. I just let my 14 yo DS watch it. He wants to watch comedies... I wish I could find something clean in that genre..

bigsis144

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 10:55 pm
The IMDb parents guide is very helpful - it lists specific curse words used (and their frequency), brief descriptions of each instance of gore/violence and s-x/nudity, etc.

For example, here’s the link to Pacific Rim which I found ridiculously fun:
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt166.....ry_pg
No romance at all, but fantastic giant alien monsters getting punched!!! My inner tween boy was fist-pumping the entire time 😁 (upon reading, I realize it does have more language than I would prefer to expose my kids to - I saw it as an adult, but my parents let my 13 year old brother see it. Ah, eldest child vs youngest)

I was 13 when I saw my first PG-13 movie - the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It still holds a very special place in my heart, and is definitely clean in terms of language and romance. Some intense fantasy violence (beheaded orcs, arrows to the chest, etc).

I think both the old and new Star Wars films should be fine by this age? Lightsaber violence is “clean”, romance is a kiss or two at most?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics