Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Store bought ice cream for child with food allergies

shanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:06 pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand/flavor of store bought ice cream that might be safe for a child with nut and egg allergies?
I've done some research online, but I'm still not sure.
(And I actually called his allergist to ask, but she wasn't in. I will probably wait till she gets back to me, but I'm interested to hear what people have found, experientally, works for their kids)
Thanks

It doesn't need to be cholov yisrael.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:10 pm
Does it matter if it's made on the same equipment as eggs or nuts? If not you will have many, many choices.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:10 pm
I believe dd gets Turkey Hill. Only certain flavors, clearly.

teachkids

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:12 pm
Reading the labels carefully should be enough. Those are both common enough allergies that they have to declare them.

simcha2

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 5:15 pm
Most of the "cheaper" brands are egg free (other than French vanilla flavor). Been and Jerry's, Haagen dazs have eggs. Turkey Hill, edyd,breyers generally don't.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:10 am
exactly - I don't know if it matters if it's the same equipment or not! I know some brands are better about equipment washing and doing separate runs (eg I've heard some good things about turkey hill as the amother above posted). I guess I just wanted to hear from other moms who've had experience with this. I'll probably get turkey hill.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 9:55 am
Unfortunately, companies only have to label for top allergens as ingredients, not for possible cross-contact. To find out if equipment is safe, you need to contact the manufacturer and ask questions. You could also look on or post a question on kidswithfoodallergies.org.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:07 am
Edy's uses eggs in a nice amount of their ice creams. We stick to Turkey Hill and Breyers.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 10:59 am
shanarishona wrote:
exactly - I don't know if it matters if it's the same equipment or not! I know some brands are better about equipment washing and doing separate runs (eg I've heard some good things about turkey hill as the amother above posted). I guess I just wanted to hear from other moms who've had experience with this. I'll probably get turkey hill.

This will generally depend on the child's previous reactions to the allergens.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 07 2018, 11:33 am
I just rely on the labels. There are plenty of brands/flavors without nut or egg warnings. I would not go with a brand that has no mention of allergens, but when I see that a brand generally labels allergies then I trust that they would label my allergy if it were in there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics