Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Am I the only one WITHOUT health insurance?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 12:58 pm
I was covered by medicaid during pregnancy, but now that the baby is a few months old I am no longer eligible. I feel so "unprotected'" but don't really know what else to do since we really can't afford insurance. Crying

Anyone else out there in a similar situation?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 12:59 pm
I have none Idea

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
I was covered by medicaid during pregnancy, but now that the baby is a few months old I am no longer eligible. I feel so "unprotected'" but don't really know what else to do since we really can't afford insurance. Crying

Anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Where do you live? What country and, if in the US, what state?

Tammy

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 1:33 pm
I live in the US. In NY.

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the US. In NY.

I don't know what your income level or family size is, but if you can't afford health insurance and don't have a job that provides it, it's probably not too high.

As such, you are probably eligible for Child Health Plus for your child and you may be eligible for Family Health Plus.

The eligibility guidelines are here:

CHP: http://www.nyhealth.gov/nysdoh.....e.htm
FHP: http://www.nyhealth.gov/nysdoh.....n.htm

Tammy

cindy324

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 1:42 pm
Try to apply for Health Plus, maybe you qualify. It's low cost health insurance for those that meet the income requirements.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 2:00 pm
Thanks for caring, ladies. I really appreciate it. I did look into the various options, and unfortunately it seems that our income is just over the amount that would make us eligible for health plus. If I understand correctly, Healthy New York is the next best option, but it would cost at least $250 a month for just myself to be insured. This is really more than we can afford. Crying

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 2:00 pm
I just posted s/t similar under the title "Jersey Care". I have the same question. It makes me very nervous, but for now, until I figure out how to afford it, I will be without insurance.

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 2:04 pm
For Child Health Plus, even if your income level is too high for free insurance, you can get it fairly cheap. The next level is $9/month.

If I may be so nosy, since you're anonymous (and if you don't want to say, I certainly understand), how large is your family and what is your income?

Tammy

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 2:15 pm
The baby is still eligible for medicaid b'h, so that's not an issue. The main concern right now is me since I am still having some pregnancy/ childbirth related issues and am panicking that I am no longer insured. Family of 3. Incime between $400 to $500 weekly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics