Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Interesting shailos
1  2  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:27 am
Have you wondered...

If a completely bald (married) woman has to cover her head?

If a kohen can live in the same house as sheitel sourced from a corpse?

So that's what I'm chewing over now.
What interesting shailos have you wondered?

zgp

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:31 am
If a gluten free household has to clean for Pesach?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:37 am
Is pork from a replicator Kosher

salt

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:44 am
zgp wrote:

Wow that's a cool one!
I would imagine that's true - no need to clean for Pesach!
But does that mean they never clean their house? If it weren't for Pesach I'd never clean!!

ETA, unless a gluten -free house still has products made from spelt, oats, etc, which are also chametz, but which many people who are sensitive to gluten still can eat.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:34 am
salt wrote:
Wow that's a cool one!
I would imagine that's true - no need to clean for Pesach!
But does that mean they never clean their house? If it weren't for Pesach I'd never clean!!

ETA, unless a gluten -free house still has products made from spelt, oats, etc, which are also chametz, but which many people who are sensitive to gluten still can eat.

I have a friend who is 100% gluten free. Her house is always clean, but she never has to do "Pesach cleaning". She just starts cooking for the holidays, easy peasy.

I'd be jealous, but I don't want her health issues.

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 7:08 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Ppl have discussed this. I think you can find it if you search for something about the halacha of Star Trek.

But from what I remember, you can replicate anything and it will always be Kosher - Shehakol.

Which is good, bc I've always agree see to try Andorian Ale and Klingon Blood Wine.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:12 am
singleagain wrote:
Ppl have discussed this. I think you can find it if you search for something about the halacha of Star Trek.

But from what I remember, you can replicate anything and it will always be Kosher - Shehakol.

Which is good, bc I've always agree see to try Andorian Ale and Klingon Blood Wine.

Nerd Nerd Alert! LOL

kiryat sefer

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:17 am
zgp wrote:

Chasidim like us do sell real chometz and we keep it in our house.

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a friend who is 100% gluten free. Her house is always clean, but she never has to do "Pesach cleaning". She just starts cooking for the holidays, easy peasy.

I'd be jealous, but I don't want her health issues.

You're amazing, FF. As if YOUR health issues are enviable!

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 8:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nerd Nerd Alert! LOL

And proud of it

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:14 pm
Gluten free is not synonymous with chametz free. Oats and spelt are both from chameshet haminim and are chametz unless they have a hechsher for Pesach. I don’t see why you would think someone gluten free doesn’t have chametz, unless they are also oat-and spelt-free.

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
Gluten free is not synonymous with chametz free. Oats and spelt are both from chameshet haminim and are chametz unless they have a hechsher for Pesach. I don’t see why you would think someone gluten free doesn’t have chametz, unless they are also oat-and spelt-free.

Spelt has gluten!
And oats need to be specially certified, otherwise it's assumed they contain gluten as well.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:43 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

This actually may have relevant implications now that scientists have figured out how to grow meat in a lab. But Star Trek still brings up many interesting shailas to ponder Very Happy

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
This actually may have relevant implications now that scientists have figured out how to grow meat in a lab. But Star Trek still brings up many interesting shailas to ponder Very Happy

Yes, for example, how would you calculate halachic zman on another planet.... I think you sick to spaceship time which is set to San Fransisco.

animeme

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
Have you wondered...

If a completely bald (married) woman has to cover her head?

There are halachic discussions about whether Kisui Rosh specifically requires covering the head.

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:56 pm
I'm really confused about this gluten free = KLP thing -- do Sefardim not have to have things certified KLP, can they just rely on "gluten free"? I am (highly) allergic to nuts but I am aware that most things I eat have a risk of a minuscule amount of nut (a "trace") from being on a machine that processed other nuts -- my body doesn't react to that kind of trace and so I don't worry about it. Do not products that are "gluten-free" have even a *trace* of chametz that would be fine for a celiac but not fine on Pesach?

sirel

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 4:01 pm
If a gluten free product has a "trace" of gluten, it would be less than 1/60.
So as long as it's prepared before pesach it's good.

Still, I'm pretty sure people are makpid to have a hechsher of kasher lepesach and not rely on the gluten free certification.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 4:07 pm
sirel wrote:
If a gluten free product has a "trace" of gluten, it would be less than 1/60.
So as long as it's prepared before pesach it's good.

Still, I'm pretty sure people are makpid to have a hechsher of kasher lepesach and not rely on the gluten free certification.

We weren't discussing eating stuff on pesach but cleaning a house which doesn't anyway have chametz in it as a general rule. I presume that actual food to be eaten on pesach does need a hashgacha

sirel

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 4:21 pm
I was answering SpottedBanana, who wrote the post before mine.
She was talking about eating.

And you weren't discussing anything - I haven't seen amother gray write any posts on this thread

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 4:25 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
I'm really confused about this gluten free = KLP thing -- do Sefardim not have to have things certified KLP, can they just rely on "gluten free"? I am (highly) allergic to nuts but I am aware that most things I eat have a risk of a minuscule amount of nut (a "trace") from being on a machine that processed other nuts -- my body doesn't react to that kind of trace and so I don't worry about it. Do not products that are "gluten-free" have even a *trace* of chametz that would be fine for a celiac but not fine on Pesach?

Scratching my head over the relevance of sefardim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics