Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Interesting shailos
Previous  1  2

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
Scratching my head over the relevance of sefardim.

Because of kitniyos -- I presume Sefardim in the US eat many things which don't have an official KLP hechsher such as raw rice that they have checked, washed, etc. But I wasn't aware that they can just buy "gluten-free" cereal before Pesach and eat it on Pesach. I doubt this is so only because of the prevalence of the "kasher l'Pesach l'ochlei kitniyot" hechsherim in Israel -- according to this logic kitniyos-eaters could just rely on the company to say "gluten-free."

As to bitul b'shishin, that is b'dieved is it not?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 5:03 pm
I think this was already said, but it seems some are not getting it. Oats are pure chometz and may be gluten free if certified. So certainly gf doesn't equal klp. The poster who mentioned it may be confusing GF diet with paleo/grain free diet. Households that strictly abide by that diet technically shouldn't have to clean for pesach.

zgp

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 5:05 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Because of kitniyos -- I presume Sefardim in the US eat many things which don't have an official KLP hechsher such as raw rice that they have checked, washed, etc. But I wasn't aware that they can just buy "gluten-free" cereal before Pesach and eat it on Pesach. I doubt this is so only because of the prevalence of the "kasher l'Pesach l'ochlei kitniyot" hechsherim in Israel -- according to this logic kitniyos-eaters could just rely on the company to say "gluten-free."

As to bitul b'shishin, that is b'dieved is it not?

hilchos pesach are pretty complicated. botul beshishim applies before pesach but on pesach itself even a mashehu is a problem. gluten free cereal is not kosher lepesach - I have asked this one before.

Quote:
was answering SpottedBanana, who wrote the post before mine.
She was talking about eating.

And you weren't discussing anything - haven't seen amother gray write any posts on this thread

sorry if I said the wrong thing. You sound a little insulted.
I went amother by mistake - that is what happens when you type with one hand when nursing. It was actually me who originally raised the query of gluten free pesach cleaning

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 5:56 pm
I know in space the sun sets very often so every couple of hours you would night ha e make Kiddush and havdallah.

Illan Ramon the Jewish Israeli astronaut who tragically perished when the shuttle blew up asked his Rabbi this question and many other interesting shailos before going up.

LoveHashem

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 6:29 pm
zgp wrote:
If a gluten free household has to clean for Pesach?

There are many non food items that are chomets so of course.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 11:26 pm
I just posed this Shaila two weeks ago.

"We are going on vacation and there have been a string of robberies in my building recently, culprit unknown. Are we allowed to leave our cameras on motion sensor for Shabbos?"

We were told, "You are always allowed to leave our cameras on continuous with motion sensor every Shabbos, since whenever you move the screen is changing anyways."

erm

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 10:37 am
sirel wrote:
If a gluten free product has a "trace" of gluten, it would be less than 1/60.
So as long as it's prepared before pesach it's good.

Still, I'm pretty sure people are makpid to have a hechsher of kasher lepesach and not rely on the gluten free certification.

The concept of bitel bshishim 1/60 does not apply to chometz. If just a sprinkle of flour or any chometz is in an item, it may not be eaten on pesach.

btdivorcedmom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:40 pm
[quote="SpottedBanana"]Because of kitniyos -- I presume Sefardim in the US eat many things which don't have an official KLP hechsher such as raw rice that they have checked, washed, etc. But I wasn't aware that they can just buy "gluten-free" cereal before Pesach and eat it on Pesach. I doubt this is so only because of the prevalence of the "kasher l'Pesach l'ochlei kitniyot" hechsherim in Israel -- according to this logic kitniyos-eaters could just rely on the company to say "gluten-free."

As to bitul b'shishin, that is b'dieved is it not?[/quote

We are sephardi living in US. We do not eat kitniyot without KLP hecher, and do not rely on glutein-free cereal without KLP hecher. And neither does anyone else Sephardi we know, from our community or other communities. The only thing we are allowed to eat without KLP hetcher is a specific brand of rice that is known in advance to be chametz free, as determined on a year by year basis. Even though it's known to be chametz free, we still need to check it 3 times. We can not assume that any brand of rice is chametz free. We follow a very mainstream sephardi Rav btw. The information you have does not sound mainstream to me.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:38 pm
[quote="btdivorcedmom"]
SpottedBanana wrote:

As to bitul b'shishin, that is b'dieved is it not?[/quote

We are sephardi living in US. We do not eat kitniyot without KLP hecher, and do not rely on glutein-free cereal without KLP hecher. And neither does anyone else Sephardi we know, from our community or other communities. The only thing we are allowed to eat without KLP hetcher is a specific brand of rice that is known in advance to be chametz free, as determined on a year by year basis. Even though it's known to be chametz free, we still need to check it 3 times. We can not assume that any brand of rice is chametz free. We follow a very mainstream sephardi Rav btw. The information you have does not sound mainstream to me.

Cool! What hechsherim are there in the US to certify kitniyot products which are chametz-free?

btdivorcedmom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:58 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Cool! What hechsherim are there in the US to certify kitniyot products which are chametz-free?

There is star S, which is subdivision of star K. There is OU "Kitniyot". We also have a store in the area where we live that sells Israeli brands of kitniyot products close to Pesach , those have Israeli hetcherim.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:07 pm
btdivorcedmom wrote:
There is star S, which is subdivision of star K. There is OU "Kitniyot". We also have a store in the area where we live that sells Israeli brands of kitniyot products close to Pesach , those have Israeli hetcherim.

Makes sense, thanks for educating me!

Back to the original question: how on earth could someone rely on "gluten-free" to be chametz-free lechatchila? Bedieved, there is botel b'shishin which does apply before Pesach though not on Pesach, but lechatchila I thought almost everything needs a hechsher. Therefore, one would need to clean one's house from the chametzdike food just like someone who isn't gluten-free.

Besides the oat problem.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics