Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Driving for 30 minutes to go shopping

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:43 am
We just recently moved to suburbia from the city. The closest kosher supermarket, which happens to be tiny, is a ten minute drive away. However, this store doesn't have everything. I would have to supplement with shop rite, which is five minutes away. There is a massive kosher supermarket 30 minutes away by car, but is definitely a one stop shop. However, the ride there and back is pretty exhausting. My husband thinks it's better to go to multiple places closer by than one place much further away. Which would you choose? A one stop shop that has everything (the store is huge) but is a 30 minute drive away, or have to go to multiple stores but are 5-10 minutes away? I'm just trying to figure out a new schedule for myself here being that either way, I have to drive everywhere. In the city I never drove. I walked everywhere, with everything being a five minute walk away.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:47 am
I have a similar setup here. I usually go to the closer stores on a more regular basis and the farther store(s) less frequently to stock up on some things that are either only available or better priced there.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:50 am
I would probably go to the closer stores unless I was in the area of the huge store that is far.
Learn how to stock up when things are on sale (like cereal, tissues...)
Also you can always order things online so you don’t have to shlep. I order laundry detergent and similar items from target (free shipping) sometimes from Walmart too..
One thing I tell myself... time is money too. If I have to shlep for an hour to buy orange juice that’s on sale then the sale is not worth it for me!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:58 am
My inlaws have a similar situation. My mother in law does as much shopping as possible in the local stores. About once a month she goes to the store a half hour away to stock up on the kosher items she can't get at the non Jewish supermarkets.
She also travels far to the large kosher supermarket before Yom Tov as well.
Also whenever one of her kids come to visit they usually ask if she needs any grocery items and she usually gives us a list of the things she cant get near her and we do a small shopping for her.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:13 am
Depends who's driving. If she is driving and the long rides exhaust him, I'd stick to the local stores.
If you're driving and you're ok with the thirty minute drive, can you go on your own, so she doesn't have to endure an exhausting ride?
Personally, I'd stick with local unless I have extra energy.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
Depends who's driving. If she is driving and the long rides exhaust him, I'd stick to the local stores.
If you're driving and you're ok with the thirty minute drive, can you go on your own, so she doesn't have to endure an exhausting ride?
Personally, I'd stick with local unless I have extra energy.

Who are she and him?

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:41 am
I don't think this is much different than how most people shop when they drive to stores in terms of dividing their purchases. For example, my Costco is about 30 minutes away in traffic so I go there maybe once a month and stock up on stuff. I go to the supermarket more frequently and also use it to buy in larger shopping trips. I use Trader Joes and more specialized stores on a more frequent basis or to get perishable items - I.e. fish or fresh produce. I use the smaller stores because I can be in and out quickly when I don't want to deal with the supermarket for quick purchases.

Since you've just moved, you just need to figure out a shopping rhythm that works for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating