Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Duggar Dressing Disaster
1  2  Next

corolla

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:02 am
For those of you familiar with the Duggars from TLC's "19 Kids and Counting", Jill Duggar-Dillard posted a salad dressing recipe the other day on her blog https://www.dillardfamily.com/.....cipe/
and the public unanimously erupted in "sodium, sodium, sodium!" and "heart attack in a bottle", and I'm just left here thinking, this is a typical dressing recipe found in any Jewish cookbook or even on Imamother.
Am I missing something or are we really ingesting that much sodium on a regular basis?

greengrapes

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:13 am
I didnt read her dressing recipe but these are my thoughts on the duggar family. Ive been watching them for years. If someone is going to invite a tv crew into their house for yrs and yrs you are opening the door for all different kinds of criticism and whatnot. If shes going to post her recipe in her blog shes going to have ppl criticising it. Thats just how it works. Even if there is no basis for it ppl will find a something to criticize

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:19 am
Food Network and Tastee (and others) post short recipe clips on facebook very frequently and I love reading the comments. People literally troll them and comment JUST to knock the recipe amd tear it apart. They get a kick out of it. Its a thing, sadly.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:31 am
While the dressing recipe is opening, let me just say that I use a lot of margarine (supposedly trans fat free) in baking, and I love to bake and bake decadent stuff (though lately I'm going to healthy muffins because of who's left at home). But even when the kids were little and cc cookies were a major food group, so was nearly daily soup as an after school snack, and water as the liquid of choice.

So you can get away with some indulgences if they're not the steady diet.

OK, I just looked at the recipe. And there's only one comment, I don't do FB, etc.
I would probably use water for some of the oil and maybe less soy sauce but I don't think it's that bad at all. What am I missing?

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:39 am
Everybody ingests too much sodium on a daily basis. However, that’s not why the comment section looks the way it does. It looks like that because people are jealous and disdainful of the Duggars. They have too many children, might possibly take government help, and you know, they look weird. Plus, on the internet everyone is anonymous. So they feel safe tearing apart and criticizing other people because no one knows them. That lives have been destroyed by one thoughtless tweet or Facebook comment has likely not occurred to them- or else they think it can’t happen to them. Comment too thoughtlessly, and the collective rage of the internet will ruin you. That’s even if you thought you were properly anonymous.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:49 am
This is the recipe:

Quote:
1 C. light olive oil

3 T. Dijon mustard

2 T. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, tamari, or soy sauce

2 T. honey

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. thyme

1/2 t. pepper

Big deal. It's salad dressing. You don't drink gallons of it at one sitting.

People just look for something to pick on.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:50 am
The outrage had absolutely nothing to do with soy sauce, and everything to do with how much people love to hate the Duggars. She could post a paper airplane tutorial and people would take to Twitter over it. Kal V'chomer a tablespoon of mustard!!

Though I will admit, a cup of olive oil is...a bit much

Kumphort

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:51 am
And I opened this thread expecting to read about someone criticizing their choice of clothing.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 10:12 am
groovy1224 wrote:
The outrage had absolutely nothing to do with soy sauce, and everything to do with how much people love to hate the Duggars. She could post a paper airplane tutorial and people would take to Twitter over it. Kal V'chomer a tablespoon of mustard!!

People amend recipes all the time. Take what you want and leave the rest. I don’t actually ever measure ingredients for salad dressing, but they look nice. I just kind of drizzle over my salad and I taste.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 10:27 am
groovy1224 wrote:

When preparing food for 20 people or whatever? I think not.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 10:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
When preparing food for 20 people or whatever? I think not.

Just seemed like a lot to me in proportion to the other ingredients. But then again I buy a lot of my dressings for convenience so maybe I'm off

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:43 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Just seemed like a lot to me in proportion to the other ingredients. But then again I buy a lot of my dressings for convenience so maybe I'm off

This probably has less sugar, maybe even less sodium, and while it might have more fat, it's healthy fat.

SisterSix

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:29 pm
I haven't really looked at the recipe but I will say this.
Such is "reality" these days - I wouldn't be surprised if she purposely posted a recipe that's a bit "off" hoping to get bashed and thereby bring out her defenders. It's all about publicity.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:10 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

But it's a healthy fat. Better than mayo.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:13 pm
Simple1 wrote:
But it's a healthy fat. Better than mayo.

And you could easily use a cup of mayo in dressing.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:33 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

this.
And maybe someone in their family is doing keto or Atkins!

shyshira

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:35 pm
corolla wrote:
For those of you familiar with the Duggars from TLC's "19 Kids and Counting", Jill Duggar-Dillard posted a salad dressing recipe the other day on her blog https://www.dillardfamily.com/.....cipe/
and the public unanimously erupted in "sodium, sodium, sodium!" and "heart attack in a bottle", and I'm just left here thinking, this is a typical dressing recipe found in any Jewish cookbook or even on Imamother.
Am I missing something or are we really ingesting that much sodium on a regular basis?

https://www.intouchweekly.com/.....64180

The writer is paid to come up with words to fill a page. No reference made to serving size, not a particularly well thought out slam.

What I wish didn’t happen is the trend of making a news item out of it. This to me is ‘Fake news’. Fake in that peoples reactions to a recipe posted online is not news.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifesty......html

InnerMe

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:36 pm
Yeah, weird all this negative feedback on a dressing, but not unheard of in today's world.

abaker

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:08 pm
that is a reasonable/normal salad recipe, people just want to pick on the duggars.

CatLady

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 7:15 am
The proportion of ingredients in that salad dressing is off - not enough acid compared to oil. There's also too much Dijon, because the function of the mustard is to help the oil and vinegar or lemon juice emulsify. But I don't turn to the Duggars for cooking lessons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics