Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bringing baby to a restaurant
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:49 am
Is it really not proper etiquette to bring a infant to a restaurant? A little older than a newborn..
Would you answer change if you go early in the evening?

Please share your thoughts..

(There was a similar thread but I can't find it)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:52 am
Just had that challenge yesterday. I went out to celebrate a birthday of a family member at a Brooklyn restaurant and left my five week old behind in Monsey. I just didn't feel it was the time and place to bring her along. I'm glad I made that choice

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:05 pm
I take very young babies (like under 6 months).

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:09 pm
I think it depends on the temperament of the baby and the atmosphere of the restaurant.

If your baby is the kind to sleep and not make a fuss, then it should be fine to bring the baby to a soft dim lighted restaurant where they like to encourage ‏intimate conversation. But I would not bring a fussy baby to that same place.

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:13 pm
I would never bring a baby of any age to a fine dining restaurant.
I have brought my baby to cafes and "fast casual" restaurants since she was a newborn but when we are going out somewhere nice, she stays home.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:15 pm
If it's a quiet formal fine dining resteraunt, please don't bring babies if any age! We just ate at an elegant resteraunt, someone's baby cried non stop, I'm not kidding. We couldn't even think, let alone eat. The couple got plenty of angry stares from other diners. After a while they couldn't manage to quiet the baby down & they bh left.
If it's a resteraunt where ppl generally bring families & young kids, it's ok to bring babies.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:38 pm
essie14 wrote:
I would never bring a baby of any age to a fine dining restaurant.
I have brought my baby to cafes and "fast casual" restaurants since she was a newborn but when we are going out somewhere nice, she stays home.

Tiny babies are pretty portable. Put them in a sling and bring them along. But if they get fussy, you need to leave. Which makes it easier not to bring them in the first place, given the risk you won't make it through the meal.

Once a baby needs more entertainment, and certainly once she's mobile, I would limit myself to more family-friendly restaurants until she's a little older.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 12:46 pm
I've definitely done this, with a few considerations: that it's a family-oriented restaurant, that I under no circumstances change the baby at the table, and that if my child cries and won't be soothed, I'm prepared to go outside or even leave early if necessary.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 2:15 pm
Pizza shop, burger joint? Sure. Fine dining, no way. That’s why they invented teen babysitters.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:21 pm
I bring my babies everywhere including nice restaurants.

heidi

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:27 pm
My friend was just at a cafe where a baby screamed for the entire hour she was there. People who bring babies to restaurants need to be super considerate. A happy gurgle once in a while is sweet. Playing with a noisy toy or screaming is not sweet. Even a little bit. A restaurant is meant for people to be able to converse in peace. If your baby is preventing that in any way it's really not fair.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:30 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I bring my babies everywhere including nice restaurants.

If the babies cried and you couldn't calm them down would you leave?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:36 pm
I have brought tiny babies. Not older ones. They generally slept right through.

moonstone

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:36 pm
Oh, no. Leave them at home. Please. I don't want to see or hear a baby when I'm eating out. Leave noisy, active children home too.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:41 pm
moonstone wrote:
Oh, no. Leave them at home. Please. I don't want to see or hear a baby when I'm eating out. Leave noisy, active children home too.

Then don’t go out.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:44 pm
This reminds me of the toddler on a plane thread and the kids playing in the backyard on Shabbos afternoon thread. There are just different philosophies on how far we extend "children should be seen and not heard (loudly)."

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 3:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Then don’t go out.

Some of us like to go to a nice restaurant and make a nice date out of birthdays and anniversaries. For DH and me this is a luxury that we save for because it's a unique opportunity to be served and away from screaming kids. I'm not talking about a burger joint , but a nice restaurant. It's rather a disappointment to spend all the money on a babysitter, nice restaurant, parking... sometimes have DH leave work early... and then have the screaming and crying we could have stayed home for and saved a bundle.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:32 pm
[Insult deleted] No, babies don't belong everywhere. They don't belong at formal events or at fine dining expensive resteraunt where the atmosphere is generally quiet and people expect quiet. If you can't leave your baby home, than stay home!
[Be nice! No ad hominum attacks allowed! — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:37 pm
Plane rides are never enjoyable, even without loud babies.
The point of fine dining is the enjoyable experience.
There is no comparison

sky

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 4:40 pm
I also always take my baby with me.
I don't believe in leaving a very young baby with a teen, especially a baby that is EBF.
I think I'm smart enough to leave with a crying baby or knowing how my baby will behave in advance - and if the plans will work. I guess it depends on the newborn but it has always worked with mine.

I HATE when amother is used just to put down the choices of another user who was not amother. If you are going to say someone is obnoxious and not add anything else at least do it under you own name.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette