Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to make 2 chicken breasts feed 7ppl for all of shabbos
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:38 pm
I need to figure out how to stretch 2 chicken breasts for shabbos. We are 7 ppl and what we eat Friday night will be what we have for shabbos day too.

What would be the best way to prepare it. I can add to it to bulk it up but I’m not sure what.

Money is very tight and I am limited with what I can buy. What I do have is potatoes, rice, onions, some frozen broccoli and frozen spinach. I have a butternuts squash and an eggplant. I have a little bit more stuff in the pantry (some canned mushrooms, tomato sauce, olives, peas/carrots). I also have some pasta and orzo.

All ideas welcome.
Tia

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:41 pm
Make a stir fry with your various veggies and diced chicken breasts and serve over rice or orzo. I'm not sure how you can stretch that for two meals though.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:42 pm
Stir fry, chow mein, serve over rice.
I hope I'm getting the conversation going. It sounds like you have some options for some yummy, bekovodik dishes. Have a wonderful Shabbos!

jewwoman

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 5:43 pm
Which country are you in. Can I bring you some more chicken please. Or meat to make a cholent.

animeme

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:06 pm
Do you have beans? With beans, you can make a vegetarian chulent.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:33 pm
animeme wrote:
Do you have beans? With beans, you can make a vegetarian chulent.

To add to the vegetarian cholent for Shabbos day, make lots of dips to serve with the challah including spinach dip and babaganoush or marinated eggplant. If you have garlic you can make roasted garlic dip. With mayo and dried dill you can make another dip.
Make a large egg dish.
Serve rice salad and pasta salad.

Use the chicken for Friday night only. Good ideas up thread about how to stretch that.
Start the meal with more of those dips. A hearty potato soup.
And you can make a butternut squash kugel, roasted broccoli and an orzo dish to serve alongside the chicken main.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamaroo

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:36 pm
For Friday night you can do a chicken soup some of the chicken with the pasta and then for Shabot day you can do a chicken salad with pasta, vegetables, mayo and chicken

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:37 pm
my family would not be happy to be fleishig for a tiny peice or 2 of chicken. I agree make lunch pareve. If you have tuna you can make tuna patties.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:08 pm
Lots of ketufilach mixed in ( mashed potatoes)

But really .. Are you in America.. Is there a store that I can call in a card in so you can get more chicken

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:10 pm
Wow! I really appreciate how quick the replies came in.

I want to clarify that 7 of us include my husband and I plus our children who are still young (they aren’t teenagers or adults yet in terms of portion size).

I’m not sure how to make a pareve cholent. I do have dry white beans, barely and wheat.

I plan to buy fish tomorrow and that would be tilapia, it comes in a pack of 3 pieces. I am also planning to buy some vegetables to be able to have a fresh salad for both meals.

It was so kind of the poster who offered us chicken. We are struggling a lot lately but trying hard to be creative and make things work out and stretch far. We are davening that this is only temporary. We have things to make shabbos, where as earlier today we didn’t.
Someone was so kind to given us chicken and a few other items that we are so happy to have what we do and now what’s left is a bit of creativity. We also have some money left for tomorrow to buy the fish and vegetables.

I like the kugel idea. Maybe I can do butternut squash kugel and a potato kugel. Then a stir fry over rice or orzo.

I would love to do soup but I don’t have the vegetables for a chicken soup. (But I do have a bag of carrots.) I think someone mentioned making soup and then take the chicken out for the stir fry so I can get both. Maybe I can make a small soup for Friday night. If I spice it I think it can work without many vegetables.

ETA: We don’t live in America but it is truly so thoughtful.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:25 pm
For parve cholent, use soaked mixed beans (white, kidney and cranberry beans or just add kidney to your white), chopped onion, crushed garlic, barley, and cubed potatoes. If no meat add 2-3 spoons of oil and a spoon each of paprika and salt. Add water to cover, plus. (Taste the liquid to make sure it's tasty with enough, onion, garlic and salt).

For more exact instructions or for a more sweet and savory taste for cholent feel free to PM me.

Make a kishka to add on top using flour, oil, boiling water and spices.
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....d=898

You can also add a wrapped piece of kugel on top.

trixx

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:49 pm
Grilled chicken over sesame noodles is my go to. It's great for day and good for little kids bc it's pasta. Also easy, marinate and grill/fry then make pasta and dress it.

The only thing is it uses toasted sesame oil which is expensive, you can use less than it says or even skip it just won't have the same flavor.

It's in Susie foshbein first cookbook the kosher palette. I can post recipe here if you want.

mammale

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:18 pm
I am in awe of how resourceful you are.
I make chicken soup with just chicken, carrots,onion, salt. If your chicken breast have the bone I'm, you can take meat off the bone, use the bone for soup, and the meat for stir fry. If you don't have bone, you can use the meat for the soup, and then mash up with potatoes, eggs, spices maybe other veggies and make patties, or balls in a sauce to serve over noodles like meat balls... ( Just putting out ideas.. I don't have recipes)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:33 pm
Unless they're chicken breasts on the bone (and even then I'm not so sure) I don't think you would be served well to use the chicken for soup. I've tried using boneless, skinless white meat for soup and it came out pretty bland.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 10:15 pm
Can you make fried rice with veggies and your chicken and have it as your main?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:26 pm
You can make a butternut squash soup
Cube the squash, boil in a little bit of water
When it’s soft
Blend with a little bit of the liquid. Use as much liquid as you need, but don’t make it too thin.

SAVE THE REST OF THE LIQUID.
you can use it for the rice or the cholent. It will add flavour.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:00 am
Op here again.

There are so many wonderful options, it’s hard now to choose what to make.

I will take everyone’s advice and use the chicken for Friday night and do a pareve cholent shabbos day (with that kishke recipe too.)

I would love to make butternut squash soup but I think the butternut squash is too small. Also, as a kugel I can heat it shabbos day again.

But with potatoes in the cholent for the day, maybe I can use half for the soup. I have a full bag.

Ra mom - can you tell me how to make potato soup and the spinach dip.

I don’t have sesame oil for a recipe mentioned that sound delicious too.

I also don’t think I have any ingredients for a pasta salad, besides the pasta.

I’m going to start cooking and will come back if I see it looks like I need more options or ideas! I also have baking ingredients so that I can make a dessert and maybe a cake for breakfast shabbos day.

Thank you all for the much needed ideas! I’ve had to be so creative and make just about everything from scratch the past little while, that I felt I hit a wall and needed outside ideas to restart.

Tizku l’mitzvos!
Have a wonderful shabbos

Cookiegirl

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:08 am
Hi OP- I am in awe of your attitude. Wishing you a wonderful Shabbos with delicious food made with love, and much nachas from your family. I will be thinking of you as I prepare for Shabbos, and davening that you see much bracha b'karov.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 4:19 am
Deleted

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 4:42 am
If you have duck sauce, I have a recipe using the chicken breasts that would be good for all of you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen