Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you wash your hands by your bed?
1  2  Next

Do you/r husband wash your hands by your bed?
Yes  
 30%  [ 69 ]
No  
 69%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 229

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 8:30 pm
Curious how many people wash their hands while still in bed and how many walk to the bathroom sink instead?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:46 pm
Don't quote me but I believe it's a chasidish minhag

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 11:47 pm
My children do. I dont as I have a sink a couple of feet from my bed.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:17 am
Op here. Thanks for your replies. I'm curious for those that do if it would be easier if your bowl was on a low stand by your bed? I hate when it gets knocked over. Im curious if it's something that would sell well in a Jewish store...

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:30 am
happyone wrote:
My children do. I dont as I have a sink a couple of feet from my bed.

How does that help.. If you hold like the Ari and ShulchanAruch HaRav that the ruach ra can't stay on your hands the minute you wake up you need to wash by the bed.
If you go like the MB that 'col habayis c daled amos' , the sink could be upstairs

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks for your replies. I'm curious for those that do if it would be easier if your bowl was on a low stand by your bed? I hate when it gets knocked over. Im curious if it's something that would sell well in a Jewish store...

A low stand would not stop the bowl from getting knocked over.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:43 am
I don't think it's a chassidish minhag.
But if you have a bathroom very close to the bedroom, many non-chassidim are comfortable using that.

lfab

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 9:06 am
No bowl by the bed, I walk to the bathroom and wash there.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 9:41 am
Unfortunately this is one area I am completely lax in.
My bed is almost by the door of the vainty. So it's maybe 2 steps to the sink.... embarrassed
But my husbands is at the other side. So it's farther away. embarrassed embarrassed
But we hold that you need to wash by the bed.

Thank you for this thread, now I'll try to be better at it again.
We get better at it then lax. It's a struggle.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:33 pm
while it's nice in theory ...

tripping & spilling the negel vasser water [when my kids were youngens] was more of a pain

currently the thought of water touching my hands will make me have to pee like immediately [isn't that why we wake up to begin with] + one shouldn't do a mitzva, in in this case washing negel vasser, whilst you have to pee ...

also water sitting by the bed all night get tamei ... so unless you cover it [used to have an old fashioned bowl, cup & cover] ... you actually negate the purification of your hands

nope

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:42 pm
I was thinking of a nice metal stand about level height with your bed....

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 5:42 pm
my husband does, I don't.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 6:02 pm
I stopped when I became pregnant with my first and couldn't bend down.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 6:03 pm
We do, we keep it covered so it doesn't get tamei and when I'm pregnant I keep mine on the night stand so no need to bend down

animeme

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 7:13 pm
Even if you have a place for such a stand, and you manage to not knock it over, you still have to get the water to and from it. Particularly when it's in the bowl, I regularly spill doing this. (I had a kid who wanted to try when he was young).

If I did get a stand, I would want one where the bowl fit into it, so it wouldn't knock over unless you knocked the whole stand. Then you could have a flat cover for the top.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:58 pm
One of my boys made such a stand in overnight camp. It's just a three legged stool with a hole cut in it to set the shissel into about the height of a nightstand. It's useful for not spilling but also takes up space and our rooms are small.so I'm not a huge fan. The other kids and dh and I set the kvort on the floor and flip the shissel over it. It still gets knocked over but not as much.

potatoes

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 9:40 pm
We wash by the bed.

We also don't wash in a bathroom- as the bathroom is impure. We only wash in sinks outside the bathroom. So unless you have a sink outside the bathroom, within 4 amos of your bed.. We wash by the bed. And then again by a regular sink.
2 negl vasser every morning

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
One of my boys made such a stand in overnight camp. It's just a three legged stool with a hole cut in it to set the shissel into about the height of a nightstand. It's useful for not spilling but also takes up space and our rooms are small.so I'm not a huge fan. The other kids and dh and I set the kvort on the floor and flip the shissel over it. It still gets knocked over but not as much.

Off topic, but what is a "kvort"?

kneidel

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
while it's nice in theory ...
one shouldn't do a mitzva, in in this case washing negel vasser, whilst you have to pee ...
nope

You're not serious here greenfire, are you? I've never heard of not doing mitzvos (aside for uttering shaim HaShem) when needing to be excused. I mean, do I not go to the door to the charity collector before I've used the bathroom? Or what about smiling to someone, or lending some sugar to a neighbour or even picking up a child could be considered a mitzva.
Are you really not allowed to do any mitzva in such a state?

kneidel

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:

Smart idea!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions