Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Strange segula going around
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:26 pm
On my school whatsapp chat there was a message saying that all who say a particular perek of tehilim at certain times , the Arizal promises "your year will be full of blessing and if there is a harsh decree from shamayim it will be cancelled. All difficulties will be annulled for your family and you will merit being judged in favor".

There's around 35 woman on this chat and the responses were all in line with "Amen!" I accept that we have a faith based religion and frum people believe not because we have scientific proof but because we just choose to believe. If we don't have answers and things don't make sense to us we believe regardless. That being said, at what point do we open our eyes and acknowledge that the above was likely made up? Even if it wasn't made up and the Arizal said it, we can't apply it and it seems to be factually untrue. Is anyone else bothered by things like this?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:28 pm
Y E S ! Very bothered. It cheapens our religion and religious leaders when anyone claims that they or any action have more power or guarantees than they really do.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:38 pm
This has always bothered me, and it’s gotten exponentially worse with how fast and far things can spread on social media

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 1:59 pm
I hate this, but I have come to understand why we are so vulnerable to this type of nonsense: We are believers. We believe a lot of things even though we can't understand it. But because we believe in hashem even though we can't see him (I'm a strong believer and I see hashem everywhere), we are kind of naive. And many of us start believing other stuff that have no 'mekor'. If I can believe 'this', why shouldn't I believe 'that'...

moonstone

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Y E S ! Very bothered. It cheapens our religion and religious leaders when anyone claims that they or any action have more power or guarantees than they really do.

Exactly. These things are all made up. I can't believe seemingly intelligent people believe in this stuff.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 2:33 pm
moonstone wrote:
Exactly. These things are all made up. I can't believe seemingly intelligent people believe in this stuff.
One word: Sheep.... Sad

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
I hate this, but I have come to understand why we are so vulnerable to this type of nonsense: We are believers. We believe a lot of things even though we can't understand it. But because we believe in hashem even though we can't see him (I'm a strong believer and I see hashem everywhere), we are kind of naive. And many of us start believing other stuff that have no 'mekor'. If I can believe 'this', why shouldn't I believe 'that'...

Because there's an absolute difference between something Hashem commanded and stuff that someone made up. Knowing the difference is essential to being religious.

My guess is that some combination of ignorance, laziness and desperation is behind these segulas. The problem is that because they are irrational, you can't use rational arguments against them.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
On my school whatsapp chat there was a message saying that all who say a particular perek of tehilim at certain times , the Arizal promises "your year will be full of blessing and if there is a harsh decree from shamayim it will be cancelled. All difficulties will be annulled for your family and you will merit being judged in favor".

There's around 35 woman on this chat and the responses were all in line with "Amen!" I accept that we have a faith based religion and frum people believe not because we have scientific proof but because we just choose to believe. If we don't have answers and things don't make sense to us we believe regardless. That being said, at what point do we open our eyes and acknowledge that the above was likely made up? Even if it wasn't made up and the Arizal said it, we can't apply it and it seems to be factually untrue. Is anyone else bothered by things like this?

This whatsapp message is something that we say twice a day from Rosh Chodesh Elul until Simcha Torah so it was more of a joke.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
This whatsapp message is something that we say twice a day from Rosh Chodesh Elul until Simcha Torah so it was more of a joke.

Saying לדוד ה is a halacha. Saying that it guarantees results is nonsense.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
Saying לדוד ה is a halacha. Saying that it guarantees results is nonsense.

That’s what I was saying it’s a joke bec men say it twice a day anyways

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
That’s what I was saying it’s a joke bec men say it twice a day anyways

I guess some people have a strange sense of humor.

Mevater

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 3:32 pm
I just got this on Whatsapp with someone's name attached. She must have some source just in case shes asked, no?

Segulah - PASS IT ON....

All who read Perek 27 (כז') of tehillim every morning and every evening beginning Rosh Chodesh Elul (this year, on this Shabbat, aug 30-31 ) until Yom Kippur the AriZal promises in that merit your year will be a great year filled with blessings and even if there is a harsh decree from Shamayim it will be cancelled!

All of the difficulties will be annulled for you and your family and you will merit being judged in favor since all the 13 channels of compassion open on Rosh Chodesh Elul until Yom HaKippurim.
Read it and share it with others.

May we all merit to see the revealed good and compassion that Hashem 'craves' to give us, Amen.

[Fwd from Orit Esther Riter]

I googled her name and found this on AIsh:

Orit Esther Riter born in Brooklyn, New York, a caterer by profession. However, after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2006, her life’s direction took a different course. In 2009, Orit made aliyah with her family from Monsey, NY.

She currently authors daily on-line articles and emails focusing on spreading emuna to a growing list of subscribers from all around the world. In addition, her emuna classes can be found on Torahanytime.com and YouTube channel.

Currently, Orit Esther has five children and one grandson living in Israel. She lives with her husband and four younger children in Ramat Beit Shemesh

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 4:01 pm
On this site as well, I see that people keep talking about the "segulah" of lighting a candle for some long-dead Rav I've never heard of for thirty days or three months or whatever. Maybe we should make them a shrine and offer up offerings, too?

Mevater

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 6:00 pm
Im definitely not one to mock going to daven at Kevarim (or Segulahs), after reading in some frum magazine, probably Inyan, about a highly respected family who was named, with two children that didnt have children for 20 years, and after going to a specific Kever (I think R' Naftulcha from Bobov on Lag B'Omer is what I recall) both children had a baby within the year.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 6:26 pm
Since were discussing this, I’ll add the current #ThankyouHashem craze to the list. Absolutely ridiculous.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:43 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Since were discussing this, I’ll add the current #ThankyouHashem craze to the list. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm usually skeptical about these things, but thanking Hashem before our bombardment of requests seems pretty logical to me.

Mevater

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:47 pm

Whats so crazy about saying Thank You to Hashem? Is there more to this than you wrote?

sra

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:02 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
On this site as well, I see that people keep talking about the "segulah" of lighting a candle for some long-dead Rav I've never heard of for thirty days or three months or whatever. Maybe we should make them a shrine and offer up offerings, too?

Please be respectful when referring to gedolei yisrael! His name was R' Menachem Mendel M'riminov, a big gadol mainly in the chassidish world.
I will find out, but I'm pretty sure it is a reputable segulah with a mekor

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:05 pm

Why? I tell my kids to say this all the time.
What does bH mean but that?
We should say for both good and bad always.
It’s not a Segulah. It should be a way of life.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:06 pm
I once heard that someone went to R' naftulche of bobovs kever a day after his wedding to daven for children. he poured out his heart, and what do u know?! he had a baby 10 months later.

a 12 year old boy heard the story and wanted a yeshua as well because he hadn't had his bar mitzva yet. he went to daven at the kever on lag baomer and he celebrated his bar mitzva within the year.
from then on it has become a segula to go to R' Naftulche's kever on lag baomer to be granted all that one wishes.

*joke*
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics