Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
The office I work in is a stinky mess

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 9:37 am
There seems to be no one responsible for general cleanliness. There is no cleaning woman, and no one to take out the garbage. I honestly don't want to do that job (and no one asked me to, so I won't offer- or I will get stuck with it) but the office is seriously gross, with fruit flies, overflowing garbage cans, and an odor.
Wwyd?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 9:40 am
Ewww, I used to work in such an office. We had waterbugs as well. After asking my boss multiple times for clean conditions, I got up & left every time the mess was too much or u saw a bug. I was the only full time worker there & just about ran the place so he didn't have a choice but to clean up....

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 9:42 am
So what did he do? He cleans up all the time now?

Yea I've seen some gross bugs here too, I forgot about that. And the fruit flies are mighty annoying.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
There seems to be no one responsible for general cleanliness. There is no cleaning woman, and no one to take out the garbage. I honestly don't want to do that job (and no one asked me to, so I won't offer- or I will get stuck with it) but the office is seriously gross, with fruit flies, overflowing garbage cans, and an odor.
Wwyd?

Invite the spouse of the boss over to see it.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:39 pm
I used to work in such a place.

The place was a horrific mess of old food and dirty tissues. The toilet...

I left BH.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Invite the spouse of the boss over to see it.

Hasn't helped at all. The spouse often comes to the office. They are very laid back in general. (Which is nice when it comes to other matters such as vacation days etc, but it's tough in other ways.)

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:52 pm
Print this out for the boss. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaw.....=9714

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:54 pm
I don't think they're in violation of OSHA. An overflowing garbage and fruit flies don't constitute a danger. But it sure makes for an unpleasant environment.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:55 pm
OP, I left my job it that office, but whenever I walked out on him he brought over the cleaning lady from bus home to clean up.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:21 pm
Is this in BP? Curious if it’s the office I left ....

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Is this in BP? Curious if it’s the office I left ....

No.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think they're in violation of OSHA. An overflowing garbage and fruit flies don't constitute a danger. But it sure makes for an unpleasant environment.

Actually they are in violation of 29 CFR 1910. 141, which is OSHA’s sanitation standard . It specifies among other things that a place of employment must be kept clean to the extent that the nature of the work allows; that refuse must be removed as often as necessary to stay sanitary; and an extermination program must be implemented where rodents, insects or other vermin are detected.

OP if you file a complaint with OSHA they’ll send a letter to your employer saying that they received allegations of employee exposure to this health hazard and ask your employer to respond. They could do an inspection but are unlikely to do so because they’re busy with higher priority things like investigating fatalities and high-hazard workplaces like construction sites and chemical plants. Still, the letter MIGHT get your boss to clean up his act...for a while, anyway.

You can file online at www.osha.gov.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:02 am
Jetblack amother wrote:
Wwyd?

Have you raised the issue with the person in charge?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 12 2018, 8:29 am
imasoftov wrote:
Have you raised the issue with the person in charge?

Not yet. I was hoping they would notice, as I don't want to be viewed as a finicky and demanding employee. But I guess I might just have to...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics