Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training at night

stem

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 1:27 pm
How do you teach your child to go to the bathroom at night and stay dry till the morning. My daughter is three and has been completely toilet trained for almost a year. She wears a pullup at night and it is always soaking wet in the morning. I have tried talking to her about it, but she still does not wake up to go to the bathroom. I am not putting any pressure on her about it, but I am curious to know if I am expecting too much from her at this age? At what age do children toilet train at night?

SK

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 1:32 pm
What has worked for my daughters is for one of us to take them to the bathroom right before we go to sleep (11 or 12) keep the lights off and they don't usually wake up. Also remind her to make as soon as they wake up and try to get her in the habit of taking the pullup off when she wakes up.
When you see a dry pullup for a few weeks in a row, you can change to underpants - but I would still continue taking to the bathroom before YOU go to bed for a while longer.

motheroftwo

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 4:15 pm
I have the same exact problem with my 4 yearold daughter. SHe would wake up every morning with wet pullups. I tried to motivate her by making her a chart and every morning if she's dry she gets a sticker. When the chart is complete I promised her a surprise present. Or you can ask her what she would like. So far it's really worked great. She's been dry pretty much every morning with occasional accidents. I also have her go right before she goes to bed. I also leave a nite light on in the bathroom just incase she has to go at nite.
good luck!

imaamy

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 6:11 pm
I am so glad those strategies have worked for you. Our pediatrician told us sometimes kids just can't sense the urge during the night. They are too asleep I guess. She said waking them up won't help them learn to feel it on their own. Our daughter is a lot better but it still happens...frustrating!

raizy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:24 pm
I tried the eleven ocock approch but if I forget one day or my hubby forgets one day then we have the VASSER MALACH visting us....

so I gave up and put my 2nd and 3rd kid back into pampers it is cheaper then pullups.... and it is soaking every day...they are almost 3 yrs and 4.5 yrs I hope on their own they will stay dry and after a few weeks of dry pampers then I will take off the pampers...

also my 3rd kid was dry for 6 months and then fell back .I dont know why . maybe bc it was so cold outside.... Sad

funny my oldest kid I dont have this problem...

raizy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:25 pm
I only have this problem at night....

raizy

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 12:41 am
Yes yip hip horrah for me .my 4 yr old second kid decided to be trained at night as well only 1 more kid to train at night and one kid to train by day (just joking he is only one yrs old)

shira

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 5:07 pm
My 3 yr old is totally ready to be trained at night- he even asks to wear regular underpants to sleep. I keep telling him "soon" but I just cant bring myself to do it! I work till 12 and my baby is up by 5:30. I simply dont have the energy to have him waking in the middle of the night with a wet bed. AND, I'd think about waking him to go to the bathroom b/f I go to bed but I'm scared that he wont want to go back to bed. My kids aren't of the big sleepers...........
Chizuk? ideas? suggestions?

shira

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 5:17 pm
update: My 3 yr old just woke up kvetching that he needs to go to the potty. I'm not sure if he woke up from the phone ringing and then felt the urge or if we woke up on his own from the urge itself. Maybe I really should put on those underpant at night...........

tzivi

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 5:50 pm
I once spoke to a paediatrician who said that it is so normal for children to wear nappies / pullups at night, even until they are around 5 years old. Sure it is expensive and a little inconvenient for the parents. But, do we need to rush a process that will happen anyway, as the child him/herself gets older and more mature. Also, if you rush a child's toliet training, day or night, you are guarenteed to have a regression. Meaning, they may be trained well for a period of time, even months, but they will most probably regress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training