Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it tacky??
1  2  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:08 pm
My neighbor is making a simcha and instead of mailing the invitations she put everyones invite in their mailbox. I know stamps are not cheap but I just thought the gesture is cheApy. It is not the first time it happened. Many times I get thank you cards in my mailbox without a stamp on it. I’m just wondering if it’s tacky or not. That’s all. I personally wouldn’t do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:13 pm
This must be one of those cultural things. If someone personally walked over to my house to give me an invitation, I'd think it was sweet.

ETA: Even if she just had the kids deliver them. It's the thought that counts.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:15 pm
Technically speaking, in the US at least, the mailbox is reserved for USPS mail.
On the other hand, hand delivering does ensure that the invitation won't be lost in the mail.

It's a hard call on the tackiness. Practically speaking it shouldn't be tacky at all.
I would not send my relatives who live within a few blocks of me an invitation in the mail-I would hand it to them (or illegally stick it in their mailbox if no one is home). But, in order to be classy, yes I do spend .50 to send an invitation to my next door neighbor.

syrima

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:17 pm
sometimes when you put it in the mail, your neighbor across the street doesn't get it!

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:19 pm
Technically, in the US it is illegal to put something "mailable" in someone's mailbox directly (without stamp/going through the postal system). What I would say is that if they are going around and dropping invitations in the mailboxes, it would pay to take the extra time (I know, it can be a lot) and actually hand deliver, or stick in the door- that raises it a level up from tacky/cheap to a more personal option (while still saving the cost of postage, if not the time).

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:27 pm
Illegal, technically, but not tacky. Though why don’t they knock on the door and drop it off in person if they’re already going to all that trouble?

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:29 pm
Let them save the stamp and use the money for somethinf else! It goes right in the trash. Who cares how it gets to you?

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:52 pm
I don’t think it’s tacky at all. Why do you care if there’s a stamp on it or not?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:55 pm
Tacky? Perhaps if she insists on volunteers to help and she can otherwise afford to use USPS to do the work.

But if she and hubby want to spend their time doing this - why not?

devash1

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:27 pm
In Israel most invitations are placed in the mailbox or hand delivered. I'm always happy to get an invitation to a simcha!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:32 pm
On my block it's the norm, we all put the invites in everyone's mail box. I never thought of it as tacky or funny.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:53 pm
I applaud people trying to save money. I don't think its cheap.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:58 pm
On the other hand, sending an online invite, that is I wouldn't say tacky but it's cheap.

mom39

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:10 pm
I work in a rich school, and many of my fancy students have their invitations hand delivered. According to them it's classier. They may save on the stamp but they pay someone to hand deliver all their invitations!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:51 pm
mom39 wrote:
I work in a rich school, and many of my fancy students have their invitations hand delivered. According to them it's classier. They may save on the stamp but they pay someone to hand deliver all their invitations!

It is classier!

I’ve received some beautiful invitations that get ‘ruined’ from being bundled with the rest of my mail (read bills).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:52 pm
Mom39, I'm sure you mean they hand deliver it to you, not put it into your mailbox. It is classy if it gets hand delivered directly to you.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 5:15 pm
When I was getting married, we picked up the invitations and saw they had been printed with the wrong date and were unusable. By the time we got the corrected invites, it was three weeks until the wedding and we really needed to get a head count to the caterer. So that very same day, I gathered some friends and dh gathered some friends and we got everything within an hour's drive hand delivered by that night. We did send out non local invites, but also emailed those people to tell them the invite was on the way but we needed an RSVP now. It was crazy and ridiculous, and probably seemed weird to the recipients, but definitely a fun story to tell over now, over a decade later.

Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:30 pm
Never thought this is tacky at all.
Why does having it go through the postal service make it "classier?" Just scratching my head at this one.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
My neighbor is making a simcha and instead of mailing the invitations she put everyones invite in their mailbox. I know stamps are not cheap but I just thought the gesture is cheApy. It is not the first time it happened. Many times I get thank you cards in my mailbox without a stamp on it. I’m just wondering if it’s tacky or not. That’s all. I personally wouldn’t do it.

I think it’s tacky to ask whether something is tacky.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
Mom39, I'm sure you mean they hand deliver it to you, not put it into your mailbox. It is classy if it gets hand delivered directly to you.

Really? Who knew? We did it because our invites were printed late.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics