Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Loosing my mind—bus stop dilemma as Ahavas Torah student

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:32 pm
My 1st grader stating Ahavas Torah this school year as new student and I can’t get bus stop to my corner on my block. I was told I need to use near by stop that’s one block down. I can’t how do I split myself. I will be with preschooler plus my girls will be returning with bus at that time.
Can anyone relate....how do you do it with poor health in cold weather. Does anyone use their bus service in marine park and can calm me down. How do I get them to give new bustop at my block

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:00 pm
Where is this school? I never heard of it. Perhaps put that in the title

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 3:04 pm
Do you know any of the other parents who are sending? You could make a deal with them to take turns getting the kids to the corner, or have someone on call when you're feeling ill.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you know any of the other parents who are sending? You could make a deal with them to take turns getting the kids to the corner, or have someone on call when you're feeling ill.

I don’t know any parents yet otherwise this is good idea Thankyou.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:26 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Where is this school? I never heard of it. Perhaps put that in the title

Marine park. I live 10 -15 min away by car

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t know any parents yet otherwise this is good idea Thankyou.

Maybe ask the school for the names of a few families that live near that stop

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:09 pm
My husband bundles up the baby and/or toddler and brings them to the bus stop. It's just another part of life.

You're probably not going to be able to get them to change the bus stop, but perhaps ask the school to please give your number to the other parents who use that stop and ask them to call. Maybe the school would even give you their info yourself, but they really shouldn't.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:22 pm
tip the driver.
money works wonders.
you can also find out if an older student
lives near you and if you decide they are
responsible enough, pay them or ask them to
walk your child home.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 6:24 pm
Here's what works in my neighborhood:

1. Bribe the bus driver to make an extra stop on your corner.
2. Make arrangements with another mom to take turns at the bus stop or take your child off if you're a little late.
3. Make arrangements with an older girl who gets off at the same stop to walk your daughter home. Either pay her or get her an occasional gift.
4. Somehow manage to get there yourself, no matter the weather, your health, or your other kids (trust me I know that's not so simple).

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:53 pm
I got nice advices here. Thankyou ladies I will write them up and see what works. Thanx so much

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:56 am
DO NOT BRIBE THE BUS DRIVER!!! You back up traffic, make all the other stops late (which can make others late for doctors, work, or to get their kid to school) and are just inconsiderate of the rest of the city!!
Be grateful you have any bus service- many moms here write about not getting anything where they live and have to drive around their city to the different schools, look for parking, get out, get their kid, get back to their car, drive home... Or wait on long carpool lines until everyone's kid comes and deal with carpool mess...
Just bundle up your kids, walk the single block and/or do a walk pool. You have sidewalks in marine park.

krembo

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:01 am
Do you have a car? In cold weather, some mothers wait across the street from the bus stop in their car. This would keep you and your preschooler from getting too cold waiting for the bus. Unless your girls are really little, they should be fine letting themselves into the house and waiting for you to return.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:56 am
My son is in that yeshiva. These are not private busses you pay for and can't expect door to door service. The city will allow a certain distance of blocks for a stop, if there is a stop a block away than that is considered very normal. Some kids walk further than that. Be happy it's only one block. You can however try to speak with the driver. Sometimes he will agree to come to your corner. If not, you'll have to find a way to manage like all other moms. It's not easy but doable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children