Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
How enjoyable is it really

solo

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:43 am
We’re a young family with small kids. My shabbos table is noisy & messy. My food is basic. Conversation is mostly kid centered.
Bh my family enjoys it that way. We do enjoy having guests as well, and when we do I tell the kids they can go play when they’re done eating. Still there are spills, interruption and...
All that to say... my husband thinks it would be nice to invite my young divorced neighbor (no kids)If I had no children I’d find a meal like this so unpleasant. Could my neighbor possibly enjoy being invited?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:46 am
I say invite, but warn them with a smile.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:54 am
We always had singles without kids at my parents Shabbos table. First of all, us kids loved having those guests. We also were on our best behavior when we had guests.
Also, the guests came often. If they felt overwhelmed by rambunctious kids I don't think they would've chosen to come to our Shabbos meals all the time.
Go for it. Offer. If she doesn't want to join she will decline the offer

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:03 am
My in laws have a single guy eating with them Friday night for the past 22 years!!! Every single Friday night! He wouldn't miss it for anything, he loves it. It's so quiet & lonely for him that he appreciates the noise & lively kids.
Op, invite your neighbor & just tell him what to expect. He might be very glad for a change of scenery.

essie14

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:06 am
When I was single, I loved being invited for a meal to great, normal (read: noisy Smile ) families. I loved that I could be part of their family for a few hours and then go back to my nice, quiet apartment.
You can definitely give a warning (I do this now when I invite people who don't have kids the same ages as mine) but he/she might really enjoy coming to you for two hours on a lonely Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics