Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need protein ideas for diabetic husband emergently (LONG)
Previous  1  2

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:28 pm
Would you consider making him this bread which has less than 4g of carbs per slice? https://tasty.co/recipe/low-carb-bread

Instead of rice, would he consider quinoa? Not carb-free but certainly lower carbs per serving than rice.

westchestermom

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 12:42 pm
He will eat quinoa, he pretty much is lazy with food prep because his mom served him like a king so he usually heats up leftovers when he's hungry and that's it. Or he asks me what there is to eat. I can't avoid having regular bread because of the kids, so if I make protein bread he will still see the regular bread. I looked for almond flour at shoprite and it was over $7 I think for a small bag.

I was off for nearly three weeks but I'm scared of what will happen when I'm too exhausted to make complicated stuff. I'm planning on buying a ton of frozen burgers, fish and grilled chicken, any ideas for low carb convenience foods or takeout? I am near Costco. Any really fast ideas for veggies? He hates crisp raw vegetables because his mom served him canned mushy ones so he likes them cooked soft. I guess I can bulk cook soups and see what freezes well.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:37 pm
westchestermom wrote:
He doesn't care much about sweets, he struggles daily with bread and rice. Portions are also hard for him. He asked me if he could have a cup of milk, so I brought him a serving of milk. Then in the night he finished off the gallon and of course his sugar didn't go down. I keep telling him he can eat the foods he likes (in a few days when his sugar is under 200) but only a small portion and after having protein but he will clean out the fridge after I'm asleep.

Let me talk to him. I can tell him from experience what he has to do. It will be a leap of faith for him but if someone bigger than him can do it, he can too.

westchestermom

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:41 pm
Andrea, I don't know if he will be comfortable speaking to you over the phone since he doesn't know you. Thank you for your valuable advice, I would be grateful if you want to send me any info in a private message and I will give it to him.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:42 pm
westchestermom wrote:
He doesn't care much about sweets, he struggles daily with bread and rice. Portions are also hard for him. He asked me if he could have a cup of milk, so I brought him a serving of milk. Then in the night he finished off the gallon and of course his sugar didn't go down. I keep telling him he can eat the foods he likes (in a few days when his sugar is under 200) but only a small portion and after having protein but he will clean out the fridge after I'm asleep.

I really really tried to stay out of this.
And lucky for OP that less judgemental posters are giving tips.
But really??
Is this a grown man or a developmentally disabled child?
My friend's husband just left her a young widow with many children. Bcz he didn't keep his diabetes in check.
In the end he will make his own choices and my mouth is literally hanging open reading about the hoops you jump through for him even though he doesn't have the courtesy to care about and take care of himself.

nursemomma

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:49 pm
It seems like your husband has some deeper issues going on. Perhaps he can meet with a therapist or nutrition coach to deal with his unhealthy relationship with food. Once you deal with the deeper issues, your husband will automatically be empowered to be able to make better choices for his body and health. No amount of food preparation from you will stop his problematic eating habits; it needs to come from within him.

westchestermom

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:55 pm
There are definitely deeper issues. And yes, he wants to be babied, especially now that he is sick and scared. I let go and have not interfered much over the past year because I wanted him to grow up. I have compelled him to see a therapist in the past but he would sit there and say that everything was great. He spoke about his childhood very matter of factly, and says he is fine. He is not. I can only control my own actions, and I want my kids to have a father. He is only 32 years old and I'm 33.

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 1:58 pm
educate yourself about vegetable proteins.

Their is a world out there!! Not to negate chicken, fish etc.

Quinoa: saute onions, thinly diced celery, finely shredded carrots.

1 cup quinoa

1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp basil
1 tsp lemon or lime juic
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable stock, use more water if needed.
TASTY EVEN FOR PEOPLE WHO DISLIKE QUINOA
enjoy

Try lentil, split pea soup, vegetetable soup with peas and greenbeans and !!

Dr. Furhman's recipes. there is so much out there

westchestermom

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:13 pm
I love beans hotzenplotz. I definitely plan on working them in, and I made some yesterday, but his sugar is still too high for even beans and fruit today.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 2:49 pm
westchestermom wrote:
I love beans hotzenplotz. I definitely plan on working them in, and I made some yesterday, but his sugar is still too high for even beans and fruit today.

A portion of quinoa has more carbs in it than I eat I two days. And I’ve reversed my diabetes.

westchestermom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:19 am
Sugars dropped a hundred points since the weekend from 379 to 280, but they are not going down any more. We have an appointment on Monday but the doctor doesn't consider it an emergency at this point. Any diabetics have tips besides walking, drinking water and continuing to avoid carbs? I know a few days at this level won't kill him but we want to avoid long term issues.

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:25 am
Will he eat protein pasta? This recipe has just cheese and egg yolk: https://tasty.co/recipe/2-ingredient-pasta

I know it's work and more expensive than regular pasta, but no special ingredients at least. It seems like it's important for him to have food that tastes like carbs because he's so used to them, as opposed to just eating meat and veggies.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:27 am
westchestermom wrote:
Sugars dropped a hundred points since the weekend from 379 to 280, but they are not going down any more. We have an appointment on Monday but the doctor doesn't consider it an emergency at this point. Any diabetics have tips besides walking, drinking water and continuing to avoid carbs? I know a few days at this level won't kill him but we want to avoid long term issues.

FASTING. That’s what dr fung does in emergencies

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:19 am
Is he on meds for the diabetes?

westchestermom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:59 am
He is on metformin. Most likely his doctor may add insulin when we see him. When he was first diagnosed he had it under control, now he is expressing that he did this to himself. 😞

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:45 pm
westchestermom wrote:
He is on metformin. Most likely his doctor may add insulin when we see him. When he was first diagnosed he had it under control, now he is expressing that he did this to himself. 😞

Insulin is just going to allow him to eat more junk. And make it harder to lose weight. Please look up the diabetes code ASAP by Jason fung

westchestermom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:53 pm
Thankfully by the time he got home from work his sugar was down another 50 points. At this rate it will be normal by the appointment. He is avoiding all carbs except some vegetables at dinner and whatever is in full fat dairy. Big salads, cold cuts, eggs and yogurt. I was just impatient. Its heading in the right direction.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics