Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yeshivos accepting wealthy kids vs poorer kids
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:50 am
Is this ever reasonable?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:01 pm
There are apparently a whole bunch of people here who think my kids should go to public school. Because chinuch is only for rich people

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:07 pm
If the alternative is closing the school because they can't pay teachers, that's one story.
If they just want an exclusive crowd, that's another

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
There are apparently a whole bunch of people here who think my kids should go to public school. Because chinuch is only for rich people

Did your kids get their applications for reduced tuition in on a timely manner?

simcha2

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:

I didn't get that from the other thread at all. The discussion was about the difficult decisions schools have to make to stay open and to pay teachers. No one was saying that schools shouldn't take students who can't pay full tuition, but rather if there is one space and it makes a difference to the bottom line who do they choose. Schools need a balance of full paying and non full paying students. To say everyone can be on scholarship just doesn't make sense.

I don't think people on financial aid should feel indebted to those paying full tuition. But to not recognize that those paying full tuition are keeping the schools open so their kids can attend is a lack of hakaras hatov.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

There is isn't one person who thinks chinuch is only for the rich. There is a whole bunch of people who are realistic and know bills must be paid.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:32 pm
It's very understandable that a school would rather accept people that are paying full tuition than people asking for tuition breaks. Schools need money to survive. It's impossible to run a school if every other parent gets a break in tuition. Most schools are in dire financial state as is. It has nothing to do with being rich or poor.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:34 pm
My school is cheap for kollel people and much more expensive for the rich (bh we're in the middle lol).

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:34 pm
It's very rarely that a school is a community project for the good of society. Out of town only.
The way I see it, nowadays, schools are a business, not necessarily a business that makes money but a business and that's why it has a non profit code.
They can do whatever they choose to do, even if it's not right.
Why there are people that think that schools are there for religion or anything else is beyond me.
Sorry for being so cynical about this.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:11 pm
My elem was killed by the fact that in its later years they had accepted all the nonpaying students no other school would accept. With virtually no paying students, they ultimately had to close their doors. Another organization acquired the property and assumed its debts, otherwise not only would the neighborhood have been minus a school but it would also have been saddled with an abandoned and deteriorating building to attract squatters and worse.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:18 pm
This is the reality nowadays. Because there is no central "Kehilla" that takes care of the community. There are small pockets of sects within a community. The poor people that belong to a community usually get absorbed by the others. Even if they don't pay tuition, there are others that make up for it. and it's sustainable.
The people that don't belong fall between the cracks, because there is no central community school for these people.
It goes way back that people needed to pay for education. Even in the times of Hillel, he wasn't allowed in the Bais Medrash because he couldn't pay the pruta he needed for the entrance fee.
Also, in Europe, so many boys had to start working at a young age to support the family and they couldn't afford to pay the melamed.
This concept is not new. It doesn't mean that it doesn't sting.

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:

Goodness. I didn't get that vibe at all.

But really, is it so odd or reprehensable that schools want students who can pay full tuition?

If you had one client who could pay you the market rate for your services, and another who asked for a significant discount, which one would you rather do buisness with?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:47 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
It's very rarely that a school is a community project for the good of society. Out of town only.
The way I see it, nowadays, schools are a business, not necessarily a business that makes money but a business and that's why it has a non profit code.
They can do whatever they choose to do, even if it's not right.
Why there are people that think that schools are there for religion or anything else is beyond me.
Sorry for being so cynical about this.

Hello there. The primary purpose of all frum schools is religious education.

They aren’t all set-up as ‘community schools’ which should do their best to accept all students who apply.

It would be wonderful if every community could support a school where no one is turned away.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:

Why do you think other people should be responsible for your children's chinuch?

The solution is to only have as many children as you can afford.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:

If this is a S/O from the other thread... You CLEARLY didn't read that thread

Its very sad,, In fact, my sons were forced to go to PS at different times.. But if a school is entirely funded by tuition and private donors they can only help a limited number of families or they will collapse..

Then NO ONE GETS CHINUCH...

The answer isn't to curse out "a bunch of people" on a public forum

The answer is more charter schools and more aggressive lobbying for tuition tax credits

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Did your kids get their applications for reduced tuition in on a timely manner?

Yes

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
There is isn't one person who thinks chinuch is only for the rich. There is a whole bunch of people who are realistic and know bills must be paid.

And the other options are? There are two schools in my city. There’s a limited number of negative answers I can get. And yes I work, but I don’t make enough to pay $60K for tuition. Unless I wanted to be homeless and walk everywhere and go to a witch doctor for medical care.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If this is a S/O from the other thread... You CLEARLY didn't read that thread

Its very sad,, In fact, my sons were forced to go to PS at different times.. But if a school is entirely funded by tuition and private donors they can only help a limited number of families or they will collapse..

Then NO ONE GETS CHINUCH...

The answer isn't to curse out "a bunch of people" on a public forum

The answer is more charter schools and more aggressive lobbying for tuition tax credits

We have a state law against doing anything that might be considered helping private schools. And the Teachers union will bring anyone they disagree with to court. Luckily my city Federation doesn’t agree with you. Every child has a place in school here. It isn’t about a market. It’s about Jewish education. Also please tell me where I cursed anyone out?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:38 pm
It's in everybody's interest to ensure a place in a Jewish school for all children in the frum world. (Just like it's important to have decent public schools for the good of greater American society.)
If you read honest depictions of pre war Jewry (both in Europe and America) you will understand the result of large numbers of Jewish kids growing up without a Jewish education. There won't be a healthy frum society for your grandchildren to grow up in if you push the poor people's kids away.
If you want our world to grow and flourish, you need to accept that fact.
And sorry, charter schools and public schools are not the answer. It's not the 1950s anymore, that model worked for a generation or two but those times are long gone.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
Yes

So assume any comments on the other thread have nothing to do with you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics