Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Butter sweatshirts-how do I know whats 'in'?
Previous  1  2  3

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:28 am
happyone wrote:
https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2427943?cm_mmc=feeds-_-adlucent-_-google-_-pla&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_campaign=pla&utm_channel=shopping_acq_p&sid=545650&aid=%5BADL%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%20-%20Categories%20-%20Non-Brand%5BMobile%5D&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zXirx_MC-2W5XHrYD6HDevy5nnehCLDZbT2UANkaAOkDRgsZQojivhoC_fkQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E189575713341-device%5Em-plaid%5E354860189982-sku%5E14361799-adType%5EPLA&color=COTTON%20CAN
I just googled this and am surprised this is the trend.
Is this what you mean?

Thanks! Thankfully the trend didn’t reach my daughters circle.

rgr

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:50 am
amother wrote:
Exactly! I'm not that cool buying all the latest! To those that say it's ridiculous I actually heard a talk once by a mechanech in ey who said to make sure your child isn't the 'nerd' . why don't we all just wear burkas and forget that fashion even existed!!!?!
It's like ppl want to say their piece and vent here and completely disregard what I've even said.
Taint my daughter?! She doesn't know I'm asking about it!! I never said I'd buy her one. But since she needs a sweatshirt this year(old one she wore 2years already) I figure I'd get whats in. And truth is she herself doesn't always like whats in. I think it's the cute pics etc on this sweatshirt that appeals to her- which is appropriate for an 8 yr old.
So back to my question- how did you know pesach 2017 it was in...?!

So if your daughter needs a sweatshirt, then you can find out what's in, and buy it. Here it sounds like you are trying to find out what's in, before "everyone" else. To me the focus sounds subtly different.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:06 am
The butters are a really soft delicious material. But yes you do have to wash them carefully. They’ve been in for a while but maybe it’s just now hitting the frum world.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:01 am
I am not the OP but I relate to her question. I am fashion-challenged and have no idea what is in style and what isn't. I don't notice specifics of what people are wearing. I care mostly about tznius and comfort when I shop for myself and I often find that the latest styles (ie - those being sold in the frum stores) do not suit me or are too expensive.

My kids also don't care much about fashion. They notice a little more what people wear than I do (it's a personality thing - not because they care so much) but they don't ask me for the latest thing unless they see something in it that appeals to them. Meaning, if they want it, it is not because it is cool and everyone has it, it is because it happens to be really comfortable or practical or pretty. There are so many "in" things that my kids would never wear because it is not their taste, regardless of whether everyone else wears it.

That being said, I think it is important for kids to wear what is in the range of normal/standard in their peer group. That doesn't mean all the latest coolest styles. But it does mean not things that are really out of fashion and considered "nerdy" or "weird."

For someone like me, and perhaps OP as well, figuring out what is basically normal is challenging because I am truly clueless. And I also wonder, as OP does, how people know these things. I guess many people pay more attention and notice more what people around them are wearing but I really don't. So I just ask people who are more aware than I am to make sure that my kids are in the ballpark.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:50 am
I agree with OP that there are times we have to spend more or differently on our children than we would otherwise because of the peer group.
I also agree that if a kid is fine without something, don't get it! Use the money for something else.
I'm surprised schools allow these. I guess I'm familiar with schools that don't allow pictures or writing on sweatshirts besides subtle insignias.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Exactly! I'm not that cool buying all the latest! To those that say it's ridiculous I actually heard a talk once by a mechanech in ey who said to make sure your child isn't the 'nerd' . why don't we all just wear burkas and forget that fashion even existed!!!?!
It's like ppl want to say their piece and vent here and completely disregard what I've even said.
Taint my daughter?! She doesn't know I'm asking about it!! I never said I'd buy her one. But since she needs a sweatshirt this year(old one she wore 2years already) I figure I'd get whats in. And truth is she herself doesn't always like whats in. I think it's the cute pics etc on this sweatshirt that appeals to her- which is appropriate for an 8 yr old.
So back to my question- how did you know pesach 2017 it was in...?!

My girls are older so they tell me what they want.

Also it’s not so expensive you can get it in Bloomingdales on sale for so cheap. And yes the old fabric pimples but now butter came out with a new fabric that is very similar to the juicy terry fabric that feels much nicer.

And yes it is a cute sweatshirt what’s wrong
With buying it each of my girls
Have at least three of them it’s sixh a cheap item.

pause

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
My girls are older so they tell me what they want.

Also it’s not so expensive you can get it in Bloomingdales on sale for so cheap. And yes the old fabric pimples but now butter came out with a new fabric that is very similar to the juicy terry fabric that feels much nicer.

And yes it is a cute sweatshirt what’s wrong
With buying it each of my girls
Have at least three of them it’s sixh a cheap item.

I don't think it's cute. Nor do I think that $37 is cheap for a sweatshirt.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:21 am
happyone wrote:
https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2427943?cm_mmc=feeds-_-adlucent-_-google-_-pla&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_campaign=pla&utm_channel=shopping_acq_p&sid=545650&aid=%5BADL%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%20-%20Categories%20-%20Non-Brand%5BMobile%5D&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zXirx_MC-2W5XHrYD6HDevy5nnehCLDZbT2UANkaAOkDRgsZQojivhoC_fkQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E189575713341-device%5Em-plaid%5E354860189982-sku%5E14361799-adType%5EPLA&color=COTTON%20CAN
I just googled this and am surprised this is the trend.
Is this what you mean?

Wow, is that ugly.

Maryann

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Butter sweatshirts are incredible.
They are super super soft and adorable designs and also wash and wear well.

I’m happy buying the in stuff if it’s quality and useful, like natives and these sweatshirts, more than buying the in junky toys that go out of style so quick (fidget spinners anyone?)

This sounds good, where can I buy butter sweatshirts from?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:28 am
pause wrote:
I don't think it's cute. Nor do I think that $37 is cheap for a sweatshirt.

This. And that price looks like when it's on sale. I would never spend this amount on a sweatshirt for a young child.

BH5745

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:47 pm
When did it all become about having what everyone else has to 'fit in.' All these trends start in the non-Jewish world, and we copy them. We stress over whether our kids will be accepted or not, depending on which clothes they have, the stroller we push and etc.... And we wonder why we have social issues in the frum world?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:40 pm
Hello were none of you ever in grade school? I grew up on the boonies in a Conservative day school. All of our parents were saving the whales and planting trees in Israel and not one of us had "in style" clothes but you still had to keep up with the trends. Shirts tucked in or left out. Twine instead of shoe laces. Older brother's/boyfriend's flannel shirt for a jacket (woe unto the girls who had neither to shnorr from). It's just the way life is. OP is asking who sets the trends and how do you catch them fast enough so your kids aren't the Johnny-come-lately nebs who finally get on trend just as it's fading out?

The answer is confidence. You see something cute and send your kid to school in it full of confidence and everyone will want to wear it/do it too. If she's uncomfortable with it it will be seen as nerdy.

The moms who bought the sweaters pesach time weren't on trend yet, they were setting the trend by sending their daughters to school with a new cute (?) Item and confidence. The other kids want the confidence so they think they have to buy the item. This may or may not actually work but enough people think it does so we have trends.

Clothing doesn't buy confidence. Work on building it by providing a loving home, healthy outlets and lots of positive self talk, and work on developing middos, so butter or no butter, your kid will be well liked and the setter, not follower, of trends.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 1:16 pm
My neighbor came home from camp wearing a Butter sweatshirt. It’s pimply already and has ugly pictures in the back.

chummus

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 1:50 pm
A what sweatshirt? Butter?

Rappel

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:53 am
Yummy sweatshirts that wash well? I was so excited that I googled it.

Now I'm less excited...

For those pontificating on the value of buying quality, I don't think these are going to be fashionable to wear beyond this season. They're...a very defined taste.

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 1:29 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yummy sweatshirts that wash well? I was so excited that I googled it.

Now I'm less excited...

Same here
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics