Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pickled pastrami roast

President

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:23 pm
I've read some different methods for cooking/ baking pickled pastrami roasts. I'm just wondering for those people that cook pickled roasts a few times to get the salty taste out, do you do that with pastrami roast as well? I'm wondering if so, what happens when the roast is baked?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 12:59 pm
Don't cook it.
Place it in a size appropriate pan. Add just 1/3 of an inch of water. Cover and bake at 300 for 4 hours (for 4 lb roast). Serve hot.

President

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Don't cook it.
Place it in a size appropriate pan. Add just 1/3 of an inch of water. Cover and bake at 300 for 4 hours (for 4 lb roast). Serve hot.

So it won't be too salty? And what about freezing it? Will it be good from freezer? I'm trying to get a head start on yom tov...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:03 pm
President wrote:
So it won't be too salty? And what about freezing it? Will it be good from freezer? I'm trying to get a head start on yom tov...

It's like pastrami from the deli counter. Is that too salty for you?
I'm sure you can freeze it. Maybe undercook it a bit since you'll be reheating it.

President

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's like pastrami from the deli counter. Is that too salty for you?
I'm sure you can freeze it. Maybe undercook it a bit since you'll be reheating it.

Thanks for your help. I'm just wondering why when cooking it's recommended to cook three times to get salty taste out and not by baking

mlc

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:08 pm
From what I’ve been told (by someone who worked at a butcher counter), cooking with water will make it less salty , and method stovetop vs oven doesn’t make a difference in this regard. The more water, the more salt will be minimized.

I personally always bake Smile

keym

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:15 pm
The recipe I use calls to rinse off under running water most of the pickling spice. Then cook it in a pan 3/4 full with water 3 hrs or so.
I freeze my pastrami. Not in liquid. I freeze the liquid separately. When I defrost, I slice the meat, and use the defrosted liquid as a sauce base- mixed with ketchup or duck sauce if I want sweet or whatever. I pour the sauce over the sliced pastrami to warm on yom tov.
I've never tried serving pastrami without a sauce. It may be a bit soggy.

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:39 pm
It's not always the case with washing it down or boiling it up a few times. I learned by try and fail that it has to do with where you buy it. I used to buy by one butcher that if I didn't wash it down it was inedible. Now the butcher where I buy it's just the opposite. If I wash it down its tasteless. Their way of pickling it either isn't strong either they rinse it before packaging. I dunno I never asked.

mlc

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:44 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It's not always the case with washing it down or boiling it up a few times. I learned by try and fail that it has to do with where you buy it. I used to buy by one butcher that if I didn't wash it down it was inedible. Now the butcher where I buy it's just the opposite. If I wash it down its tasteless. Their way of pickling it either isn't strong either they rinse it before packaging. I dunno I never asked.

Agreed!

agreer

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:53 pm
It's supposed to be salty... YUMMMMM!

President

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:45 pm
Thanks all do to your help. Do I take it out of the bag or bake it in the bag? U can tell it's the first time im baking a roast...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:31 pm
President wrote:
Thanks all do to your help. Do I take it out of the bag or bake it in the bag? U can tell it's the first time im baking a roast...

Take it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics