Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What do Lakewood HS girls use nowadays? Briefcase? Bag? etc
1  2  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:13 pm
It's been a long while since I was in High School and the first time I have a daughter entering High School. In my days, we didn't use briefcases - but I have no idea what's 'in style' nowadays. Would truly appreciate any help with this so my daughter doesn't feel self conscious on her first day! Also, if briefcases are the norm nowadays, which companies/styles are 'in'? Until now, she's been using Kipling - would that work? Again, I'd be truly grateful for any help with this!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:07 pm
I think you should ask her what she thinks is in. I'm sure she conversed and discusses these things with her friends. Let her be the one to make the decision of what she wants to use. Maybe, she actually wants to be "different" than everybody else.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:26 pm
My girls use backpacks but I think different girls use different also

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:28 pm
Probably depends on the school, and on the group of friends she's in....my daughter and my niece are in the same grade, same school, and they are different.

I would say in general, kiplings are elementary-ish.

DD uses a cute backpack. No particular brand. She got it in the mall.

Other DD had a bag with handles....I think it was from Marshalls, but it was some sort of designer, though she got it much-reduced.

BK school.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 2:49 pm
I used a big bag and carried my loose leaf.

Most girls do that although some do have briefcases.

No Kipling though.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:58 pm
OP here. Thanks all for your responses. My daughter doesn't have any friends going to this school so she doesn't have anyone to discuss it with. I think I might wait for school to begin so she can see what other girls have and then we'll know better what to buy. Thanks again!

OutATowner

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:17 pm
This reminds me of a funny story. When I went away for hs, my backpack broke 2 days before I left. My father suggested I use a bag (like a macys/Bloomingdale's bag) and I cried that I was going to be such an outcast when I got there. My mother also thought that was nuts and we went and got a new jansport last minute. Well, I got to this new city and what did all the girls use? Shopping bags from Gap, H&M, Macys...! I laugh about it to this day.
Hatzlacha op!

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:19 pm
My girls use backpacks, but I don't know whats's "in style" in each school. Do you want to specify the school? Or else ask someone who has daughters there.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:46 pm
Specifically in Lakewood like Bnos bais yaakov what do the 9th graders use?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:41 pm
I'm in Lakewood but my dds don't go to Bnos Bais Yaakov, and I don't think anyone in my neighborhood does either. Sorry I can't be more help, hopefully somebody else will help.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:04 pm
I have an 11th grade daughter in Shiras Devorah.until now she used a plain Navy Heshle backpack. Now she wants a black Kate Spade one.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 11:23 pm
Small backpacks, with pretty or cute design. Carry the lunch and some notebooks in the backpack, and carry the large binder or text books separately in her hands. Cute, name brand make up type bag for pencil case is trendy.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:22 am
Thanks all for the helpful replies - and OutATowner for the laugh! Very Happy

Overall I'm getting that briefcases aren't the absolute 'no-no' they were in my days. I'll check out Herschel and Kate Spade and any other names anyone else can suggest.

The makeup bag/pencil case is also a great idea! Will check that out too.

Thanks again!

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:29 am
Herschel was very in in my dds' school last year. We got cute cheap ones on Amazon and so far they help up well.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 10:50 am
My DD loves her Monster pencil case. I saw them on sale in Walmart (she got hers on Amazon.)

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 1:15 pm
Great, thanks! Looking into Herschel & Monster. Very Happy

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 1:39 pm
I can't.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 9:19 pm
Just got my daughter a Kate Spade black backpack , size large, not really huge. I went to the outlet. It's about $96. You can get a discount with a teacher ID. It's the Wilson Bradley bag, I think . A little pricey but I want her to fit in.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 9:57 pm
A little pricey? Hashem Yishmor.

(Oh, wait, that's not my screen name Wink )

Not judging you, I'm just shuddering to think what teenagers and their social expectations may end up doing to my wallet, though I think this is not something I have to worry about where I live.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Just got my daughter a Kate Spade black backpack , size large, not really huge. I went to the outlet. It's about $96. You can get a discount with a teacher ID. It's the Wilson Bradley bag, I think . A little pricey but I want her to fit in.

That's very nice, but not necessary to pay for designer brand knapsack. A cute one in $20 range, from Target or department store, will suffice. It should just be on trend, your daughter will know what's cute. The pencil cases with designer labels can be found for under $20, on clearance or sales at the mall. No need to spend so much!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children