Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving budget

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 1:16 am
Thinking of a long distance (about 800mi) move next summer. How much should I budget for the movers, new furniture, restocking the house etc. Going from a 4 bedroom house to similar house, but we have a lot of stuff and sefarim. I'm sure we can get rid of stuff, but if moving is expensive I want to make sure we have ample stuff so kids don't get bored. Advise me.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:05 am
How much are you willing to do yourself? We did a similar length move (albeit smaller house) for well under $2000, but we packed everything ourselves and loaded it into cubes to be driven to our new home, and went with cheap/free hand-me-down furniture. Full-service movers will obviously be significantly more.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:24 pm
Gonna need movers for the actual loading and driving, but can pack myself. How do I know how much to REALLY budget b/c I hear that its always over the estimate and I won't know exactly what's coming until day-of.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:06 pm
We’ve moved that far a number of times. Its more than 4k just for the truck. Since you have a lot of seforim, look for movers who charge by cubic feet, not weight.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 5:38 pm
Look into ABF U-Pack.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 7:42 pm
We just moved cross country. We spent a lot of time getting quotes and by far the cheapest is ABF u pack(for us was $6-7,000 less than the quotes for an all service mover.) This is especially true if you have a lot of seforim because they charge by cubic ft and not by weight.

They only provide the truck for the service. There is no hidden fees. You only pay for how many cubic ft you use. Whatever space you do not use, they pack with commercial packages that you obviously don't pay for.

You need to pack your own things, higher local movers to load and then unload the truck when you reach your destination. When booking the movers, you should inquire if they are use to packing u packs because if it is packed well, you will use less cubic ft and therefore save money.

There is another similiar company called pods. The reason we didn't go with them is because there is a limited amount of space (meaning they drop off a 10,000 cubic ft pod and if you need more space there is nothing you can do) whereas with u pack, you can use up the entire truck if needed (which I highly doubt you will need as they are very large!) We ended up needing 3,000 more cubic ft than we thought and we would have had to scramble last minute selling furniture on Craigslist if we used a pod. Pods also cost more for equal cubic ft. The benefit to pods is that they have a better ventilation system. With u pack, they open the windows to the truck and therefore our boxes and furniture arrived very dirty. What we did to mitigate the mess is any box that was being moved to a carpeted room, we instructed the movers to place in the nearest tiled bathroom. For the furniture it wasn't a big deal because they were wrapped by the movers very well. We also instructed them to take off the dirty wrapping blankets before they entered the house.

Hope this helps!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
We just moved cross country. We spent a lot of time getting quotes and by far the cheapest is ABF u pack(for us was $6-7,000 less than the quotes for an all service mover.) This is especially true if you have a lot of seforim because they charge by cubic ft and not by weight.

They only provide the truck for the service. There is no hidden fees. You only pay for how many cubic ft you use. Whatever space you do not use, they pack with commercial packages that you obviously don't pay for.

You need to pack your own things, higher local movers to load and then unload the truck when you reach your destination. When booking the movers, you should inquire if they are use to packing u packs because if it is packed well, you will use less cubic ft and therefore save money.

There is another similiar company called pods. The reason we didn't go with them is because there is a limited amount of space (meaning they drop off a 10,000 cubic ft pod and if you need more space there is nothing you can do) whereas with u pack, you can use up the entire truck if needed (which I highly doubt you will need as they are very large!) We ended up needing 3,000 more cubic ft than we thought and we would have had to scramble last minute selling furniture on Craigslist if we used a pod. Pods also cost more for equal cubic ft. The benefit to pods is that they have a better ventilation system. With u pack, they open the windows to the truck and therefore our boxes and furniture arrived very dirty. What we did to mitigate the mess is any box that was being moved to a carpeted room, we instructed the movers to place in the nearest tiled bathroom. For the furniture it wasn't a big deal because they were wrapped by the movers very well. We also instructed them to take off the dirty wrapping blankets before they entered the house.

Hope this helps!

I am planning to move in a few months (G-d willing) and like the Upack idea and have seen the pros and cons of each type on moving.com. If you are willing to speak with me, please pm me and I can give you my phone number and I can ask you more about that system. You seem to have had just the type of experience that I am looking for.

shofar

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:31 pm
We just moved cross country. We did a pod since it was about $4000 (I think) so we figured with the difference we loose on not being able to bring anything we could just buy furniture. So we left most big stuff. Some of the furniture we did bring broke but we didn't have anything too expensive. Pods didn't take responsibility since you have movers at each side which we paid about $200 on each side. We paid for our car to be driven and for our flights.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 10:38 pm
Lwe just paid 4200 plus 350 tip for 3000 miles plus less than 500 for boxes tape etc

There were a few new things we needed to buy and repair. We are a week in and spending money on the house itself is adding numbers. They estimate u spend 1% of home value annually on home repairs. I seriously hope it is less Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 12:13 am
I tried looking up PODs and its not available for where I want to go. I need an option that doesnt require me to be there once the truck is loaded. How much would a reputable moving truck cost?
What is a normal amount of cubic ft for a family of 7?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating