Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Female doctor at Chemed for DH.

sbr57

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:30 pm
Hi,I was wondering if people think this is ok.
I’d like to send DH for a physical since he hasn’t had in a while. I use chemed for myself and our children so I called them and the earlier appts that they have have are with a female dr or pa. I’m ok with that but just want to make sure men use them for these things especially since many of them are frum. Don’t want him to feel awkward or be embarrassed.
Thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:35 pm
I think he will feel uncomfortable.

sbr57

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think he will feel uncomfortable.
I asked him, he says if they have other male patients than he doesn’t care.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:45 pm
///

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

sbr57

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
This is very unusual.
He might still feel uncomfortable in the waiting room, receptionists' reaction to his sign in (however professional they are), etc.
I was hoping it was more professional because in the secular world it’s totally normal.
I guess I’ll book the later one with a male dr for now. Thanks
And if anyone else has experience or any other thoughts please chime in.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 3:53 pm
The Chemed office isn't only for women so no one in the waiting room knows who he is waiting for.

My DH often goes to a female GP in a different practice. I don't think it matters if a dr is male or female for medicine.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:00 pm
If it was a women going to a male dr for a physical nobody would blink an eye. Doctors/PA's are professionals, as long as hes ok with it, then why not?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:04 pm
When my son was here for Pesach, I took him to Chemed twice for stomach issues. The female PA was much more competent and thorough than several male Drs he had been seeing..

OP,you don't need our approval.. Do what you feel comfortable with

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:18 pm
I sit corrected.

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:34 pm
My husband has used the female PA's and doctors at CHEMED for well and sick visits. I have used the male doctors for well and sick visits. For us, timing is more important than gender, and I'll take whichever doctor works better for my schedule. Doctors have seen just about everything... no cause to be embarrassed.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 4:55 pm
My husband has used the female PAs and doctors at Chemed (frum ones too). I have used the male PAs and doctors. I don't think it's an issue.

das

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 6:37 pm
To see a female dr for the flu is one thing. A physical? A proper physical would involve a testicular exam.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:06 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
If it was a women going to a male dr for a physical nobody would blink an eye. Doctors/PA's are professionals, as long as hes ok with it, then why not?

Exactly, even more so, no one blinks when a woman goes to a male obgyn.

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 8:31 pm
das wrote:
To see a female dr for the flu is one thing. A physical? A proper physical would involve a testicular exam.

Who cares? This is what doctors are trained for, male and female. I go to a male OB/GYN. I don't see how that's any different.

das

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:11 pm
DVOM wrote:
Who cares? This is what doctors are trained for, male and female. I go to a male OB/GYN. I don't see how that's any different.

I see male obgyns as well. My friend will only see female midwives. My dh would be extremely uncomfortable getting a testicular exam from a female. To each his own.

rae

Post Tue, Aug 14 2018, 9:21 pm
I think it would make a difference if the female dr would be a mature woman or if she’s in her 20s and just out of med school.

anonymous55

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 12:02 pm
Halachically I believe a male should be going to a male dr. unless the female dr. is an expert in the field (aylor)

mommyhood

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 1:02 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Exactly, even more so, no one blinks when a woman goes to a male obgyn.

Of course they do. I know many women, myself included, who will only use female doctors and obgyns. And dh would not be ok with a female doctor for a physical.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 1:48 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Of course they do. I know many women, myself included, who will only use female doctors and obgyns. And dh would not be ok with a female doctor for a physical.

Sure, I also prefer a female doctor. But I don’t see why as a general rule it’s ok for women to see a male obgyn and not ok for a man to see a female doctor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics