Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My burned pot :(
1  2  Next

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:19 pm
I have already used a bottle of vinager, soap and the entire baking soda. It got most of it out but on the bottom of the pot is a lot of black stubborn specs. I put it twice in the dishwasher.

Mom says throw it out but it’s an expensive and amazing pot, actually the best I own. Well before I burned it, that is.

Any tips, Balebustas?

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:20 pm
What kind of pot is it? This may give you some good suggestions. https://www.bonappetit.com/tes.....-oven

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:26 pm
Thanks to my ADD, I often get distracted and burn things. I've found a really good way of rescuing my pots.

Take a ball of tinfoil, and some dish soap. Use a little pressure, and keep at it. The spots will come right up. You can even do this to teflon pans without ruining the coating. Try it!

hodeez

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:34 pm
Have you tried adding dish soap and water and boiling it for a few minutes ?

esuss

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:39 pm
Put some dishwashing powder like cascade in the pot and boiling it. Works every time.

simcha2

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:58 pm
Barkeepers Friend. Saved many a pot.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 3:59 pm
Ammonia. Leave a small amount in the pot, covered, for at least a few hours or overnight. Then wash. Do not combine ammonia with bleach - make sure you aren't using a cleanser with bleach. I use ammonia on glass and stainless steel; I'm not sure how it might react with other metals.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 4:16 pm
Another vote for barkeepers friend.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 4:33 pm
simcha2 wrote:

This. And lots of your own strength - 💪 elbow grease.

penguin

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 4:45 pm
I find cooking up some baking soda and water usually helps. Then steel wool and baking soda.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 8:00 pm
Throw out a pot for some black specks? Is your mom made of money? Steel wool and some elbow grease will do it. If it doesn't all come off at once, try a few more times. You can use the pot in the meantime. What do you think people are eating when they have barbecue or grill?

mommish613

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 8:18 pm
Boil up a small amount of peroxide and watch the black spots melt away- worked as a charm for me many many times

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 10:00 pm
I have the most amazing solution. Carborundum sponges. I can share before and after pictures, but I'm too lazy. They work very, very well. A relative of mine was so impressed that she wanted to give them as gifts, but I told her they're too cheap to be giftable Wink

trixx

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 10:40 pm
Baking soda and water, boil forever. If there's still stuff after that, barkeeper friend.

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 12:17 am
barkeeper's friend! that stuff is AMAZING. I read the reviews online and got it and wow. totally saved some of my pots and pans!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 4:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I have the most amazing solution. Carborundum sponges. I can share before and after pictures, but I'm too lazy. They work very, very well. A relative of mine was so impressed that she wanted to give them as gifts, but I told her they're too cheap to be giftable Wink

I had to Google this sponge to check it out. This description on Amazon made me LOL.

"Super decontamination magic cleaning force just cleaning the bathroom can remove stubborn stains removal coke yellow rust board pressure cooker pan polished renovation can also sharpening oh only think do not rub where clean heavy oil pollution, please with warm water plus detergent used in conjunction with the better absolute immediate"

Um... OK then! LOL

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 8:40 am
This thread reminds me of a funny story...early on in my marriage, we burnt a pot pretty badly reheating cholent. Of course I hit google and started trying all the ideas with different levels of success. Tin foil, baking soda, vinegar, soap and hot water. You name it, we tried it! Eventually I read somewhere that boiling bleach can help. So I pored it in and made sure to cover the pot carefully, because there’s no way hot bleach fumes are a good substance to inhale.
After a little while of boiling, we decided to check on the pot. We brilliantly lifted the lid and put our faces up close to see the progress. It took us a good while to figure out why we had such bad headaches for two full days after!

(Ps it worked pretty well, there were still a couple black specks that faded with time.)

Anon because I’ve shared this story before irl.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 9:27 am
I thought bar keepers friend is no longer kosher so it cant be used on pots anymore. Am I wrong? I would love to use on my pots!

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 9:37 am
studying_torah wrote:
I thought bar keepers friend is no longer kosher so it cant be used on pots anymore. Am I wrong? I would love to use on my pots!

I didn't know that. Obviously AYLOR but al pi halacha dish soap doesn't require hashgacha. See the quote from
the cRc position is that all soaps, including those used for cleaning dishes, may be used even if they are not certified as kosher. The reason for this is that soaps are inedible such that any possible non-kosher ingredients do not pose a kashrus concern.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:03 am
simcha2 wrote:

What’s this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry