Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara Trip - hotels, attractions. Please help!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
We were in Niagra a couple of weeks ago and stayed in Wyndham Garden. It was cheap and the suite was clean and descent. Maybe check it out.

Thanks! I checked it out. They are same price as Country Inn and Suites, slightly better located (walking distance to minyan), but parking is more expensive per night. Also the arrangement of the suites are the same, meaning 2 queen beds in the room and a pullout sofa in the living area. Which means DH and I need to sleep on the pullout sofa? I guess that part we can figure out, as long as there's a door.
I saw many hotels with 3 queen beds in one room. It's enough sleeping space for us, but I don't want to sleep in the same room as my kids. I'd rather stay a bit farther away from the falls in order to have a 2-room suite for a good price.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! I checked it out. They are same price as Country Inn and Suites, slightly better located (walking distance to minyan), but parking is more expensive per night. Also the arrangement of the suites are the same, meaning 2 queen beds in the room and a pullout sofa in the living area. Which means DH and I need to sleep on the pullout sofa? I guess that part we can figure out, as long as there's a door.
I saw many hotels with 3 queen beds in one room. It's enough sleeping space for us, but I don't want to sleep in the same room as my kids. I'd rather stay a bit farther away from the falls in order to have a 2-room suite for a good price.

Would those hotels provide a cot and then you can have an additional bed.

frumPA

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:22 pm
I am iyh going to Niagara in August with 3 kids. I booked a suite at The peninsula. Its canadian side but its not right by the falls its a 10 min drive I think but good prices.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:02 pm
frumPA wrote:
I am iyh going to Niagara in August with 3 kids. I booked a suite at The peninsula. Its canadian side but its not right by the falls its a 10 min drive I think but good prices.

THANKS!!! I checked them out. They also only have a sofa bed in the living room. But they are way cheaper. Total is like 360 or something. One thing I noticed is that there seems to be only 2 chairs to sit on in the kitchenette. how are we gonna eat there? Or should I not worry about that? Breakfast we dont eat together, lunch we'll be on the road and supper, either a restaruant or adults on the couch? This might still be the best bet.

JOOC, did someone reccommend them to you?Based on waht did you decide to go there?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 5:28 am
So far I made 3 reservations which have free cancellation until 48 hours before. I need to sit down with Dh and decide which one works best re minyan and distance to falls.

now I want help with planning an itinerary. we're gonna arrive monday morning and be there all of monday, tuesday, and leave wednesday early evening. when do we do cave of the winds?
is there a difference between hornblower and maid of the mist - whether in experience or price?
Years ago, I was there as a girl with my family and I remember an attraction called "Ride Niagara" which was a simulated ride over the falls. does anyone know if this attraction still exists?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 6:32 am
Crossing the border can be quite time-consuming, so I would recommend doing Cave of the Winds Monday morning on your way in. It's a great "introduction" to Niagara and will whet their appetite for more. Warning: you will get soaked (unless you don't want to, in which case you can keep a distance from the falls and will then only get a little mist).

When I last went, the boat rides from both sides were the same, though that was several years ago. Our kids enjoyed the IMAX movie about the falls, with the attached museum that has actual barrels that people have used to go over the falls.

frumPA

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
THANKS!!! I checked them out. They also only have a sofa bed in the living room. But they are way cheaper. Total is like 360 or something. One thing I noticed is that there seems to be only 2 chairs to sit on in the kitchenette. how are we gonna eat there? Or should I not worry about that? Breakfast we dont eat together, lunch we'll be on the road and supper, either a restaruant or adults on the couch? This might still be the best bet.

JOOC, did someone reccommend them to you?Based on waht did you decide to go there?

Was looking for something well priced and to me non negotiable is a suite that has seprate room for the kids to sleep. I need my space when the kids go to sleep so one big room would not work for me. That limits tremendously as very few have 2 real separate rooms. So did searches online and looked at reviews and picked it...

frumPA

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:20 am
doctorima wrote:
Crossing the border can be quite time-consuming, so I would recommend doing Cave of the Winds Monday morning on your way in. It's a great "introduction" to Niagara and will whet their appetite for more. Warning: you will get soaked (unless you don't want to, in which case you can keep a distance from the falls and will then only get a little mist).

When I last went, the boat rides from both sides were the same, though that was several years ago. Our kids enjoyed the IMAX movie about the falls, with the attached museum that has actual barrels that people have used to go over the falls.

Is cave of the winds something that I should not skip? Will my kids really enjoy it? Ages 3,6,8. I went yrs ago and don’t remember. So on the way in plan to stop in catskills on the way so prob get in late Monday night so that wont work but wondering abt the way out Thursday morning does that make sense to go at end of trip? Thanks for advice. I am not op but following this thread.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:10 am
doctorima wrote:

Sounds great! I do plan on going to the Imax as well.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:11 am
frumPA wrote:
Was looking for something well priced and to me non negotiable is a suite that has seprate room for the kids to sleep. I need my space when the kids go to sleep so one big room would not work for me. That limits tremendously as very few have 2 real separate rooms. So did searches online and looked at reviews and picked it...
Thanks for doing the research for me! It was very hepful!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:13 am
frumPA wrote:
Is cave of the winds something that I should not skip? Will my kids really enjoy it? Ages 3,6,8. I went yrs ago and don’t remember. So on the way in plan to stop in catskills on the way so prob get in late Monday night so that wont work but wondering abt the way out Thursday morning does that make sense to go at end of trip? Thanks for advice. I am not op but following this thread.

IMO you should not skip it. It's one of the two must-dos: Cave of the wind and maid of the mist/hornblower. You can do it to end off your trip with a splash! That's what we did when we went when I was a little girl. We did cave of the winds in morning, ate lunch and left at about 2 pm. I want to leave later in teh evening so not sure it makes sense to leave a whole day for the american side.

Ride Niagara rings a bell for anyone? Not finding any info on that.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:47 am
Don't skip Cave of the Winds!!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 6:00 pm
Can pppl who've been to niagara already please weigh in when it's better to do the amercian side (cave of the winds, luna island) - first day when arrive there or last day after check out of hotel ?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 7:48 pm
I am soooo happy you started this thread because I have the exact same questions! We are hoping to do this trip next week from Wednesday through Friday. Arriving late afternoon/ early evening and leaving Friday to be in a completely different place for shabbos that's about 3 hours away. So basically we have Thursday to do things. I am so lost! Seems to me that the American side is more interesting between cave of the wind and maid of the mist, but the American side seems to be getting a bad rep as compared to the Canadian side. But if you only had one day, which side would you do? Also, seems you can't reserve tickets in advance for cave of the winds but have to go there and get a timed ticket - how does that work out? I have to go there, get tickets for later in the day and then come back?? Sounds crazy. And what if they're sold out already?
I can't seem to get a good handle on an itinerary for this trip and would love help please! Kids range in age from 2-12. Is there anything to do Wednesday night that's worthwhile to take the kids out at night? Or just leave it and have a full day Thursday and that's it?
Last question: where to stay? I'm thinking American side is better since I don't want to add the extra travel time and border control time on Friday, but I have no idea where to stay.
The amount of information is vast and therefore overwhelming. Please help sort this through for me! Thank you!

esther36

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:33 pm
If u have only one day definitely do the attractions on the American side! There are no lines and u really get to experience the falls up close! The islands are gorgeous and there's so much see and do!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:50 pm
How long do maid of the mist and cave of the winds take? Isn't that enough for the day so my kids feel like they experienced niagara?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 15 2018, 8:53 pm
Yes I think so! We didn't do cave of the winds only maid of the mist, islands and observation deck and elevator by maid of the mist. U can go on a platform and get drenched from the actual falls so we didn't feel it was necessary to spend the money on it. Kids had a ball!!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 4:14 am
I'm going to look into the islands - never heard of it before. So you don't think cave of the winds is a must? Anything short to do on the Canadian side - just so my kids can say they went to another country 😂😂

precious

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:01 am
At night you can walk across the rainbow bridge (and enter canada if you want.) There is also a great fireworks display every night at 10. The view of the fireworks from the American side was excellent.

precious

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 5:01 am
White water walk is nice on the Canadian side
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics