Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Dressing

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 2:05 am
I’m looking for 2 salad dressing recipes, would love less fat, I haven’t been able to find bottled fat free version
- pesto dressing
- sundries tomato dressing
Any ideas?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 3:04 am
Would you consider healthy fats, like olive oil, or pureed avocado?

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 4:01 am
I’d like a dressing with no fat but I guess next best would be healthy fat, do you have any recipes?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 4:17 am
For a no fat dressing, buy the highest quality balsamic vinegar you can find, and use sparingly. A little goes a long way. This is amazing with a spinach and strawberry salad.

You can make a creamy pesto dressing with basil, garlic, and ripe avocado. Puree until smooth, and add a bit of water if it's too thick. Top the salad with chopped walnuts or toasted pine nuts.

In any other salad dressing recipe, just cut back on the olive oil. They usually tell you to add too much for my taste. Walnut oil is really nice on salads, and is extremely healthy.

A good way to make sure that you're not overdoing it on the dressing, is to put the salad in a large tupperware. Add just a bit of dressing, seal the lid, and then shake the whole thing for a minute or so. Open the lid, and check to see if all the leaves are evenly coated. You'd be surprised at how a little goes a long way when you do that.

People tend to get too attached to the "zero fat" idea. Healthy fats are needed for brain processing, hair and skin, and lots of other things. Without it you'd dry up like a prune!

A small amount of fat will signal to your brain that you are satisfied with your food, so you will automatically eat less. Without it, it takes longer for your brain and stomach to realize that you are getting full.

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 8:46 am
Thank you I appreciate your response!!! I happen not to be great at “winging”it with amounts and measurements when comes to cooking, so not natural to me!! If you have any specific recipes/ specific amounts, I would love to see! Thanks again and have a great shabbos!!

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 9:18 am
This might sound strange, but you can use pickle juice as a salad dressing. The brine doesn't usually have any fat and a little bit goes a long way.

Even better, you can put in a little bit of work up front and make your own quick pickle of any vegetables that you like such as carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, beets, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, sweet onion, etc. All you have to do then is spoon a little on some lettuce and you're good to go.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-.....33882

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 10:36 am
Interesting!!! Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics