Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss not paying me

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 1:15 am
I have been working for my boss for about 5 years.
There are no other employees but me.
I work from home and only go into the office every few months.
I don't work many hours. It is kind of a very part time job.
My boss has never given me a raise which was ok because I wasn't doing much work.
So the other day I finally went into the office and asked my boss if he could finally pay me and for the first time he said that he will mail me a check.
I was not happy but what could I do. Well it's been two weeks and still no check.
He owes me over 1000 dollars which I was really counting on.
What should I do. By asking him won't help because he is such a crazy person he will never get to mail it.
I could remind him but I think he doesn't have money because business want down so he doesn't gave it but should that be my problem?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 4:35 am
Step 1: Stop working for him.
Step 2: Call to ask about the check. Every day for a month.
Step 3: Din Torah

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 6:51 am
Even if you work very part time you need for your own protection to make a contract of how often he will pay you. If it's constantly late I would start looking for a new job.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 7:22 am
Tell him you’d like to pick it up today and what time should you come to get it.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 7:38 am
Call tell him you are coming to pick up the check. Full stop. Or insist on cash (checks can be cancelled).

Sadie

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 12:28 pm
Read this article about what to do if you’re not getting paid: https://www.askamanager.org/20......html

What he’s doing is illegal and you have rights. If you think he isn’t planning on paying you, stop doing work for him right now and work on getting your back pay. You might be able to file for unemployment. Good luck!

BayMom

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 12:31 pm
Tell him you understand he might not have the full amount right now and ask him how much he can pay you right now and go pick it up. Then call again a week later. Rinse and repeat.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 12:33 pm
It doesn't pay to go to Din Torah for this amount of money. The Din Torah fees will cost you way more than the amount he owes you. And if your boss doesn't pay you, he probably won't come to din Torah either.
Keep calling him to remind him & drop the job.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 3:10 pm
Definitely no more work until you get paid AND set a regular schedule of when you will get a paycheck.

Are you being paid under the table? If so in the US you are still entitled to being paid and getting legal help, but pursuing it will be more complicated and you'll need to deal with the tax situation if you go to court. You should talk to a lawyer in that case.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 6:02 pm
Op here.

Thank you for the advice.
He is having a cash flow problem right now so something like this never came up.
Whenever I asked for a check he gave it to me.
I guess I will wait another week and call him.
He is a procrastinator with everything.
Clients owe him so much money and he doesn't care.
When I started there his office was a mess. I found checks from clients from years before he never cashed.
But he could do whatever he likes with his money but I want MINE.

If it makes any difference he gives me a 1099. And that I have to beg for also.
One time I just did it myself because I needed it for taxes and he wasn't sending it to me.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 9:45 pm
Let your boss know that there are strategies that he can utilize to get his clients to pay up.

1. He should send them itemized bills every month, addressed "Personal and Confidential" on top.

2. Attached to each itemized bill will be a handwritten note saying, It's been great working with you yada yada. Please pay me. Yours truly, Mr. Absentminded.

3. Attached to every bill should be a postage-paid self-addressed return envelope.

4. Exactly 1 week after the bill was sent out, you should call the client.

5. If no money was paid, send out an additional itemized bill repeating word for word what was said in previous bill.

If your boss doesn't pay you, then beef up your resume and go elsewhere.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 16 2018, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

Thank you for the advice.
He is having a cash flow problem right now so something like this never came up.

His cash flow problem isn't your problem. He has to pay you. From what I've read US law is clear on this.

amother wrote:

Whenever I asked for a check he gave it to me.
I guess I will wait another week and call him.
He is a procrastinator with everything.

I wouldn't wait. He's already procrastinating and irresponsible with money, so it's not like a week is going to make a difference. I like the advice above of saying that you'll be stopping by at a specific date and time. It takes all the burden off him to remember to write a check.

amother wrote:

If it makes any difference he gives me a 1099. And that I have to beg for also.
One time I just did it myself because I needed it for taxes and he wasn't sending it to me.

This gives you something else to bring up with him for leverage if you feel you need it. If you get a 1099 then you're considered an independent contractor and you need to pay taxes every quarter. You need to be paid in order to pay those taxes. So that's another thing you can say to get him going.

Just something to think about: is this aggravation worth the paycheck? You're running a lot of risk not getting paid and having your taxes screwed up by this guy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics