Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next

chanee

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:49 am
amother wrote:
Sorry dear, on this one you are wrong. Steamers are AWESOME! In fact, I told my husband I want one for a gift!

I wish I'd get this one for my next birthday.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:41 am
I don't know the weirdest gift I've ever received, nothing sticks out. But my parents have given really random gifts, literally just walk through any store and pick out any item they thought looked nice that was in their price range. Ex, a particularly pretty pictureframe, but weird because then the couple has to find a picture to fit it.

dovebird

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
I'm not sure what is more disturbing: a MIL gifting her not-yet-a-mother DIL with a doll, or with one that is missing the bottom.

Were there any interesting explanations offered? shock

Your response made me Rolling Laughter Now THAT would be WEIRD if it was a toy baby doll missing the bottom! It was a babydoll lingerie set that was missing the bottom piece.

cmalky

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:49 am
The weirdest gift I got was a package of bedika cloths. I come from a family that most would label “broken” and “dysfunctional” and my aunt wanted to make sure I know what to do with them before I got married.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
I don't know the weirdest gift I've ever received, nothing sticks out. But my parents have given really random gifts, literally just walk through any store and pick out any item they thought looked nice that was in their price range. Ex, a particularly pretty pictureframe, but weird because then the couple has to find a picture to fit it.

That's so sweet. My parents don't buy me gifts.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
A very generous, well off family ive seen giv very expensiv presents ( iv seen the stuff they gave 2 acquaintance) gave us a card that said when we want, we can use their isreal apartment. I know they meant it well, and it seems generous, but it is their the type that if some1 asked them if they can use their apartment when their not there, theyd say no. Cuz they are very tough, a lil too clean and structured that they r very strict with any1 with kids. And theyd def say no if we asked( not that I wud) also not the type that theyd remember, amd from what I see hav no issues with making some1 feel uncomfortable for asking...we always said it was their way of getting out od a gift. Its still very weird so many years later. Cuz id never ask and they know wed never ask. Amd theyd never bring it up

I think you should have taken them up on their kind offer to use their apartment in Israel. What a treat!

SuperWify

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:33 pm
When my sister was a kallah her MIL gifted her with a lacy pink lingerie embarrassed

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:58 pm
My grandmother hasn’t gifted me with anything since I got married. 5 years later, I put on a lot of weight after one particular pregnancy and she made a big deal of traveling to my town bec she has a special gift to give me. It was a one year membership to the local gym 🙄

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:20 pm
An old used empty photo album as a wedding gift (the type you slide pictures into), looked like must have been 30 yrs old.

A cheapy dog statue as a bday present from a college classmate. Like the type you can find at the dollar store. Have no idea why she gave me that. I appreciate she got me a gift, but was definitely something I would never use.

My mom used to give me and my siblings underwear and socks for Chanukah. 😝😛😆 I'm sorry, but undies and socks are not presents to unwrap in front of everyone.

When I was a kid my mom always said she wanted "peace and quiet" as present. One year when I was little kid I got her ear plugs!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:25 pm
I love flowers. I grew up in a family where flowers were enjoyed.

My mil doesn't like real flowers. I got a silk arrangement for my shabbos kallah.

Unfortunately DH is the same as mil. I get flowers exclusively for shavous.

My recent birthday DH got me 10 helium balloons. shock

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 2:58 pm
My grandmother A"H was really dear to us. She was notorious for sending the weirdest gift packages very perfectly wrapped. We felt SO loved when we got these packages and laughed as we took out item by item to examine what special gifts we got . These were a typical package:
A package of pens
Batteries
A keychain
A package of undershirts
A jar of peanuts
A bag of dried apricots
A rubber to open jars
An alarm clock
A box of crayons
Etc.
Each item was individually wrapped and had each one of our names written on one of them. She continued sending us packages like these after we married and had kids of our own. My boys loved her packages too.
When she was niftar my uncle decided that for Chanukah he would send us all a "Bubby Package" just the way she used to. It was bittersweet to get. It was exactly the things she would've given. We had a good laugh but we really miss those Bubby packages that she sent a few times a year . And she always spent money "insuring" those packages too!!! Lol!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:12 pm
My mil used to send us care packages like that, too. I loved them! It was a delightful surprise, a grab bag of goodies, some useful and some not, and just her way of saying hi there, I saw this and thought of you or thought this would be a treat. She was a lousy letter writer, at most she’d enclose a sticky note saying “I thought you would enjoy this”, and sometimes there would be a stack of newspaper or magazine clippings that she thought I would find interesting. some people communicate by calling on the phone, some write or text, some visit, some send care packages. It’s the thought that counts. If someone sends you a gift you don’t want, thank her profusely and give it to someone else who will like it. We don’t all have the same taste and that’s just grand.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:41 pm
Wow it took me a week to read this whole thread. What fun!
I got
-a weird set of vases, one short and fat, one thin and tall, ugly brown, cylindrical. Wasn't even sure what they were. My SIL told me they were designer and happily took them off our hands.
- for our wedding, a book about artsy mezuzos. Not sure who we gave that to. From my FILs Rabbi.
-for birth of baby- box of diapers. From my work place. Practical but weird gift.
- wedding, the ugliest plain brass candlesticks. I had silver ones. They went to a gmach.
- for birth of my baby - pearl necklace from DH aunt.
- also got set of 5 plasticy Israeli themed chala covers. But thin plasitc, like disposable.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
Wow it took me a week to read this whole thread. What fun!
I got
-a weird set of vases, one short and fat, one thin and tall, ugly brown, cylindrical. Wasn't even sure what they were. My SIL told me they were designer and happily took them off our hands.
- for our wedding, a book about artsy mezuzos. Not sure who we gave that to. From my FILs Rabbi.
-for birth of baby- box of diapers. From my work place. Practical but weird gift.
- wedding, the ugliest plain brass candlesticks. I had silver ones. They went to a gmach.
- for birth of my baby - pearl necklace from DH aunt.
- also got set of 5 plasticy Israeli themed chala covers. But thin plasitc, like disposable.

You think a pearl necklace for the birth of a baby is a weird gift? I think it’s very generous and the weird one is you. Ditto the box of diapers. It’s not an elegant gift but it’s definitely something a new mom will need and use—and would appreciate if you had been properly brought up.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:46 pm
zaq wrote:
You think a pearl necklace for the birth of a baby is a weird gift? I think it’s very generous and the weird one is you. Ditto the box of diapers. It’s not an elegant gift but it’s definitely something a new mom will need and use—and would appreciate if you had been properly brought up.

Wow zaq, chill out.
I didn't say it wasn't practical or appreciated. It was. The op asked what the weirdest gift we ever got was and yes I think
- a pearl necklace from DH aunt for a baby is a weird choice.
- diapers, however practical, is a weird gift from my work place.
No need to criticize.
I did notice that when this thread was started in 2008 it was very light and happy. Only in the last few posts do people criticize responses. I see that imamother has become a place where you have to watch what you post lest someone not agree with you because they will not hesitate to criticize away

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:48 pm
zaq wrote:

Honestly, I'm sorry if you're having a bad day but to tell someone that they would have had better manners if they were better brought up after a light comment on a cute thread....
Go have some chocolate

gamanit

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:41 am
amother wrote:
Got a gift of two glass vessels that we couldn’t Identify. Too wide to be leichter, too short to be vases, too small to be chip and dip servers, the wrong shape to hold lipsticks and mascara tubes. To this day I don’t know what they were supposed to be.

Sounds like it might be candlestick meant for tea lights or some other candle?

For the person who was upset that they were gifted pots with the UPC cut out of the box; I know that was a long time ago but what's wrong with that? If you already had pots either put them away for pesach or regift them. It's a valuable gift. I got a kitchenaid as a gift with the UPC cut out and I was glad that they took the rebate. Why should they spend more than they have to? They took the time to get a useful gift.

Now for odd presents... someone got my son a stuffed Hello Kitty. In case I thought it was intended for my daughter I was told that it's for my son. My daughter enjoys it. Same with the boyish backpack intended for my daughter. I gave that one to my son. I was also gifted girls clothes when my son was born. Those were regifted as well. I still made sure to thank the givers and say that I appreciated the gift. They really were nice gifts.

kakky

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 4:56 am
we also got a package of diapers as a baby gift. I wanted to buy the giver toilet paper for their birthday but my husband didnt let.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 5:26 am
Kakky, I've heard of people getting diapers as a baby gift, it's not so uncommon. I would appreciate it.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 7:54 am
we also got diapers and I was delighted Wink

I like useful things
Page 21 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics