Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3  20  21  22

animeme

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 5:02 am
Diapers are expensive. They are an easy way or other young parents to gift something worthwhile, because they often buy several packs ahead for their own babies ad rhey find the baby outgrows the size, so there it is- useful to you, so they pass it on

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
Wow zaq, chill out.
I didn't say it wasn't practical or appreciated. It was. The op asked what the weirdest gift we ever got was and yes I think
- a pearl necklace from DH aunt for a baby is a weird choice.
- diapers, however practical, is a weird gift from my work place.
No need to criticize.
I did notice that when this thread was started in 2008 it was very light and happy. Only in the last few posts do people criticize responses. I see that imamother has become a place where you have to watch what you post lest someone not agree with you because they will not hesitate to criticize away

I hear you. But think about the people who gave diapers or whatever and are now reading that it might be considered a weird gift.

I find it hard to give the perfect gift because you never know what people will like.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:15 am
I just have to comment on the fact that the first three posts discussing the diaper gift issue were from posters named:
1) Kakky
2) Babyblue (amother)
3) Khaki (amother)

Or maybe I'm just immature LOL

(FTR diapers are an odd yet appreciated "I'm thinking of you" gift but a very nice and practical Mazel Tov gift IMHO.)

(And I wonder what color I'll be!)

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:16 am
Amother firebrick Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter !!! Was Thinking the same!!

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:44 am
I think some posters should learn the difference between “unusual”, meaning “uncommon, different from the expected or run-of-the-mill” and “weird”, meaning “strikingly odd, unusually strange, bizarre”. Diapers may be an uncommon baby gift but they are hardly a bizarre one. Now diapers as a “congratulations on your new job” gift would be weird, unless of course the new job was in infant day care. And diapers as a wedding or retirement gift would simply be in extremely poor taste.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:58 am
I don't think diapers are a weird gift, nor would I assume it was unused, outgrown stock from their own kid. It's a gift that unless you are a cloth-diaperer, will be used and in some ways is like a type of cash that has to be used on the baby. We put all the cash received at a birth to start each child's savings account, but any gift that was bought for the baby, be it onesies or diapers, was obviously used on the baby.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:03 am
zaq wrote:
I think some posters should learn the difference between “unusual”, meaning “uncommon, different from the expected or run-of-the-mill” and “weird”, meaning “strikingly odd, unusually strange, bizarre”. Diapers may be an uncommon baby gift but they are hardly a bizarre one.

They're not even particularly unusual as a gift. In fact, people make (or buy) "diaper cakes" for baby showers, because diapers are a necessity, and usually very much appreciated present.

But I of course agree with your general point as well. Not every "uncommon" gift is "weird."

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 8:48 pm
I had to post
DH is a typical black hat, suit, white shirt type of community rabbi.
He just got as a present.
A black satin with black velvet flowers smoking jacket.
A white on white pokadot shirt
And black velvet shoes.
Occasion?
We just made a Chanukat HaBayit.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 1:47 am
amother wrote:
That's so sweet. My parents don't buy me gifts.

My parents do buy me gifts, but the ones they get for me and my siblings are usually practical.

The random stuff goes to other people. The pictureframe was a wedding gift for some friends of theirs. It is a sweet idea, but what makes it weird is that it was a large size, so not one a normal picture would fit. The couple would have to select a picture and have it specifically printed off to the dimentions of the frame. Am I the only one who thinks that's a weird gift?

Another random gift they gave people was a vase. It was pretty, but random because who knows if they ever get flowers or if it will fit in with their other decor.

Simple1

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 1:57 am
amother wrote:
My parents do buy me gifts, but the ones they get for me and my siblings are usually practical.

The random stuff goes to other people. The pictureframe was a wedding gift for some friends of theirs. It is a sweet idea, but what makes it weird is that it was a large size, so not one a normal picture would fit. The couple would have to select a picture and have it specifically printed off to the dimentions of the frame. Am I the only one who thinks that's a weird gift?

Another random gift they gave people was a vase. It was pretty, but random because who knows if they ever get flowers or if it will fit in with their other decor.

And I thought picture frames (up to 8x10) and vases are very typical gifts.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 2:03 am
Simple1 wrote:
And I thought picture frames (up to 8x10) and vases are very typical gifts.

Same.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 3:50 am
SixOfWands wrote:
They're not even particularly unusual as a gift. In fact, people make (or buy) "diaper cakes" for baby showers, because diapers are a necessity, and usually very much appreciated present.

But I of course agree with your general point as well. Not every "uncommon" gift is "weird."

Page 22 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  20  21  22 Recent Topics