Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When should children see an eye doctor for the first time?

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 11:58 am
My husband and I both wear glasses, and my son is starting first grade in the fall. He's not complaining of vision problems right now, but should I be taking him to the eye doctor already? Presumably, given his genetics, he will need glasses soon.

Should he be seeing an optometrist? Or ophthalmologist? Or is the yearly quick vision test his pediatrician does enough?

thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 12:07 pm
Age 3.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 12:10 pm
I take my kids if they fail the exam in the ped office or if they are having difficulty. One of my kids was very clumsy so I had his eyes checked to make sure it was not a vision issue. Another kid failed the eye exam my ped gives etc otherwise I dont see the point. It is very hard to take a young child they dont sit still well. Most MD's will dilate which some kids hate. Also before a child can read you will need to find a peds dr who has picture exams. Its a big hassle if a kid does not need to go.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Age 3.

Really?? I didn't think it would be that young- what is involved for an eye exam for a child that young? do they do eye drops? Or is it just the dr shining a light in his eyes kind of thing?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:20 pm
My kids get screenings at their annual well-visit, and also in school. I took my kids to the eye-doctor at the point where their doctor or school nurse recommended it, which was usually about age 6 or 7.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
Really?? I didn't think it would be that young- what is involved for an eye exam for a child that young? do they do eye drops? Or is it just the dr shining a light in his eyes kind of thing?

Actually it’s 6 months. I forgot.

https://www.aoa.org/patients-a.....dults

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:29 pm
I start before they go into first grade so at age 6....

mommybrr

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:53 pm
Once they complain that they can't see or they fail the exam at their annual well visit.

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 8:34 pm
I asked my dr this year. I took all my kids wanted to know if I need to bring in my 4 year old. He told me unless they complain I have time when they start reading.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 8:42 pm
Around 1st grade. I didn’t realize and took my son in the beginning of second and was told that he doesn’t need glasses now, but might in the future so to come back every year. It’s a year later and I see he is having trouble with the small letters of the Chumash and tehillim. Gotta go back
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics