Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Help me plan easy rh menus pls

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:56 am
So I may be home for yom tov. Was invited out one meal so far and didn't accept/decline yet as I have no idea if I will be home. I can go to my parents but dh doesn't like their shul (they recently moved) and loves our davening at home. It is not normal to walk as it's a two hour walk. (Dh will go there if I push but I do feel bad)
I love cooking. Due to a family simcha and starting school I will be having probably the hardest week of my life. I have three kids 7 and under. We have shabbos sheva brochos the day before Yom tov with the wedding just three days before that and we are making Sheva brochos in between. I need some easy ideas to cook on Yom tov or to freeze before. I have no idea how or when Yom tov shopping will get done. I need a basic menu so I can plan around it. I am not sure if I will even end up being home yet.

I plan to ask my mother to make me all the simanim since that is the highlight of my rosh hashana. Dh is fine with extremely simple food...but I do usually fancy it up a bit.

So far.
I baked white challah last night. Gonna make whole wheat one of these night. (We both like didgfrent ones and I always make both)
I have a brisket and club roast
I will buy minute steaks too.

I need easy starters. I will serve kids are they want fresh even if it means noodles.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:04 pm
Make extra sheva brochos food and freeze separately for Yom tov.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:05 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Make extra sheva brochos food and freeze separately for Yom tov.

I am only making three dishes and I already made them and froze them. I didn't make any extras.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:12 pm
Oooh pity.
Soups are good, especially if you put in extra chicken, chicken balls, mini meatballs etc. It can be a lighter evening meal when the kids are too tired for a full seudah. Just don't freeze with pasta or rice in the soup, it will get mushy.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:16 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Oooh pity.
Soups are good, especially if you put in extra chicken, chicken balls, mini meatballs etc. It can be a lighter evening meal when the kids are too tired for a full seudah. Just don't freeze with pasta or rice in the soup, it will get mushy.

So I have lots of random soups in the freezer and I will hopefully make a chicken soup. Between all that I hope to be good. Only one of my kids really likes soup though.
I am not usually a person who freezes as I love fresh food and cook alot on yt usually. I just know I will have three crazy cookoo kids then and don't think I should leave it to then. I am not usually organized but maybe I will take out the meats I have and cook them this week so it's done and prepare the chicken and cook fresh. Then I just need to do appetizer and sides.
I just really enjoy going all out and just don't think it will be possible.😣😣

elisheva25

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:28 pm
Basic freezable items:
Chicken soup
Potato kugel
Broccoli kugel
Flanken
Enchilada soup
Pie in a crust dessert- chocolate, blueberry
Chicken drumsticks
Make one or two things a night and freeze , and work your meals around those items.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:29 pm
roast vegetables and eat plain or add to quinoa. bake some frozen cauliflower with spices.

starters can be a salmon or deli salad (do it right before the meal)or a slice of salmon (put on some lemon juice, dill, onion, garlic) bake 425 20 minutes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 4:52 pm
What do you usually like to serve? Maybe we can come up with easier similar ideas?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 5:48 pm
Rosh hashana we're always home. The night meals I serve very simple, challa & dips
Salmon & gefilta fish
Chicken soup with kneidlech
Chicken bottoms, potato or noodle kugel, Farfel & sweet carrots. Everything but the fish is made in advance & frozen.
Morning meal is baked salmon cubes with salad
Dark chicken roast with mashed potatoes & apple pie
Second morning is Swiss steak with veggie knish with apple pie.
I make a big ambrosia & that's dessert for all meals. There's cucumber salad for all meals as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur