Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teaching toddlers proper names for their anatomy
Previous  1  2  3

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 2:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I completely agree. I have no problem with my kids knowing the word p-nis. (And they do know the word). I just think it’s weird for kids to say “I need to urinate from my pe-nis”. It’s just weird.

It is, but no more weird than "I am going to eat that with my mouth".

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:52 am
LOOOOOOL No this won't get you int rouble.

BUT it is so cultural. I hate it, don't get it, don't want using science names just like I won't use "owie I hurt my cubitus". If you do it, PLEASE do Not teach v@gina. Better a kiddy word than a WRONG WORD.

Lastly, in my country, any such thread will show that all types of moms use kiddy words and guess what, we grow and live, bh.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:00 am
This thread reminded me of an acquaintance who grew up chassidish, with no education of proper names for body parts. She "grew up" and learned that her mother had had a hysterectomy. She related to a friend that her mother doesn't have a v@gina... LOL

InnerMe

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:11 am
Fox wrote:
I think you did incredibly! I wish I'd sent my kids to you when they were little. They claim I was so vague that they're amazed they ever got toilet trained!

Yes I agree! Bigsis144, I loved reading your post.
You seem to be doing a wonderful job!

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:13 am
Ruchel wrote:

BUT it is so cultural. I hate it, don't get it, don't want using science names just like I won't use "owie I hurt my cubitus". If you do it, PLEASE do Not teach v@gina. Better a kiddy word than a WRONG WORD.

Lastly, in my country, any such thread will show that all types of moms use kiddy words and guess what, we grow and live, bh.

but do you say your child "oh you fell down, do you have an owie"?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 10:43 am
I personally don't think my children need to know anatomy so young. As long as they are able to point and describe body parts when needed, they are better off without the terminology. It can get pretty embarrassing when a kid uses the words in public or teaches friends.
My 8 yr old is getting more body aware and will be developing soon, so I felt its time to teach her about breasts. She will use the words appropriately, and it's not totally off if she starts talking about it with friends (not that I told her to...).Right now she doesn't need to know about vag.

cm

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:02 am
Ruchel wrote:

How is "v@gina" a wrong word when it used to refer to the v@gina?

Personally, I think it is important for all people to learn the proper names for their body parts. Kids learn quickly that some parts of the body are private and not discussed routinely, so I'm not at all concerned about the shock factor. Some kids will yell out inappropriate words whether they know the proper words or not, which is more about discipline than vocabulary.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:10 am
cm wrote:
How is "v@gina" a wrong word when it used to refer to the v@gina?

Personally, I think it is important for all people to learn the proper names for their body parts. Kids learn quickly that some parts of the body are private and not discussed routinely, so I'm not at all concerned about the shock factor. Some kids will yell out inappropriate words whether they know the proper words or not, which is more about discipline than vocabulary.

without a mirror inspection - most little girls wouldn't know about the existence of their v@ginas. (well I guess thats not so true. If mom is discussing birth, it could come up). So its not really the 'right word', but it the word commonly used.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics