Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Where buy kallah diamond necklace earrings Bklyn or online?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 7:32 pm
Where did you buy your dd diamond necklace and earrings for her wedding in Brooklyn or online? And only because someone told me that you could also wear costume jewelry-is this true? How many Kallahs wear real diamond necklaces and earrings and how many don't?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 8:13 pm
Why does it have to be diamonds? Especially for a young bride, diamonds are too mature and unnecessary. Why not lovely pearl jewelry? (it's what I wore and I was not what you'd consider a 'young' bride )

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 8:53 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why does it have to be diamonds? Especially for a young bride, diamonds are too mature and unnecessary. Why not lovely pearl jewelry? (it's what I wore and I was not what you'd consider a 'young' bride )

Why do you say so as a general rule? I would never give up on diamond earrings. Not for myself and not for my kallahs. Necklace I can hear.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 9:14 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Why do you say so as a general rule? I would never give up on diamond earrings. Not for myself and not for my kallahs. Necklace I can hear.

What do you mean by 'give up'? If someone offers as a gift, of course, accept. But my understanding is that OP is the mother of the bride and was told to buy diamond jewler my for her daughter. I'm not sure that buying a daughter diamond jewelry (in addition to the expense of a wedding) is necessary. But everyone does what they do

ETA I never heard that mothers buy jewelry for their daughters for the wedding. This is not done in my circles. My parents are exceedingly generous and made a beautiful wedding for me, but they didn't buy me any wedding jewelry. Nor did I expect them to. I wore a pearl necklace I received as a bas mitzvah gift and pear earring from my husband. Pearl bracelet was a birthday present from years earlier.

forever21

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 9:23 pm
When u get engaged you usually get a diamond bracelet from the chosson. Plus you get a diamond ring . Why the need for diamond earrings too ?? Isn’t a ring and a bracelet enough diamonds in one shot , why the need for earrings too ??
Let her chosson buy her diamond earrings for a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary gift after they are married

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 9:25 pm
I would never buy diamond jewelry online, only from a reputable store.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 9:28 pm
Bingo!!! ( Yes yes)
Amsel
54 & 12
The mother of the bride does not have to buy The Bride any jewelry unless the groom is an orphan.
The typical bride gets as follows earrings, a pearl necklace , a bracelet, a diamond ring, a watch and maybe a necklace for weekday that's it.

forever21

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:16 pm
That’s it ??😂

forever21

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:19 pm
I just realized I got this also when I got engaged a million years ago . Now I’m wondering how I’m going to afford all this when my son gets engaged !!

simba

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:21 pm
In my circles we give real diamonds. Each family according to their means. I would buy at a local jeweler and not online.

gande

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:27 pm
You get much better value on diamonds at the local stores. Feldmans on 16th avenue is a good store.

If you don't mind custom jewelry, there are beautiful stuff that looks real to be bought in Boro Park at Tiptop -13 & 49 or at corner store 13 & 50th.

I wore cheap earrings till after the chuppa when I got my real ones.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Bingo!!! ( Yes yes)
Amsel
54 & 12
The mother of the bride does not have to buy The Bride any jewelry unless the groom is an orphan.
The typical bride gets as follows earrings, a pearl necklace , a bracelet, a diamond ring, a watch and maybe a necklace for weekday that's it.

A gold band and a diamond pin are also given. Weekday jewelry is given as a mikvah present sometimes.

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:20 am
pesek zman wrote:
What do you mean by 'give up'? If someone offers as a gift, of course, accept. But my understanding is that OP is the mother of the bride and was told to buy diamond jewler my for her daughter. I'm not sure that buying a daughter diamond jewelry (in addition to the expense of a wedding) is necessary. But everyone does what they do

ETA I never heard that mothers buy jewelry for their daughters for the wedding. This is not done in my circles. My parents are exceedingly generous and made a beautiful wedding for me, but they didn't buy me any wedding jewelry. Nor did I expect them to. I wore a pearl necklace I received as a bas mitzvah gift and pear earring from my husband. Pearl bracelet was a birthday present from years earlier.

I'm sorry I didn't come across clear. "For my kallahs" I meant my dil. My son's kallah. I still stick to what I wrote though. Necklace is extra earrings isn't. For myself I meant when I got married.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 1:58 am
amother wrote:
A gold band and a diamond pin are also given. Weekday jewelry is given as a mikvah present sometimes.

You forgot that also for the bedekin gift you must give a headpiece made entirely of pink and yellow diamonds. Then for sixth month anniversary a small estate. Some give without a vineyard or ranch but I personally find it insulting to a DIL. First year anniversary should be a yacht. If you cannot afford one, some give a high-end sailboat but some say that's an ayin hara for divorce so ideally do the yacht. Tzar gadol banim, what can you do?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 2:13 am
What is a normal, good price for decent quality earrings?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 6:44 am
pesek zman wrote:

I'd never had done diamond as a girl.
Granted some don't want pealrs because "it is tears". I'm NOT that superstitious.
Also you can buy ANY item. I have never seen something set apart as kallah except ring

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:37 pm
My MIL bought my jewelry in Molly's (a bracelet at the engagement and necklace in the yichud room).
They got my ring from a diamond dealer they are friends with.
I did not get any other jewelry and did not expect anything else.

My parents did not buy me jewelry for my wedding.

ludicrous

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:59 pm
feldman's in boro park is very reliable and honest

amother
White

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 8:05 pm
WhatFor wrote:
You forgot that also for the bedekin gift you must give a headpiece made entirely of pink and yellow diamonds. Then for sixth month anniversary a small estate. Some give without a vineyard or ranch but I personally find it insulting to a DIL. First year anniversary should be a yacht. If you cannot afford one, some give a high-end sailboat but some say that's an ayin hara for divorce so ideally do the yacht. Tzar gadol banim, what can you do?

LOVE!!!!!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:01 am
amother wrote:

Mikvah present???

How does that work? Every month?

(Yippee! Another reason to get my period!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics